Siding contractors AGAIN !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I recently did some work for a friend that was having his entire house remodeled. One of the jobs he had done was new vinyl siding. I met with the GC and removed all conduits on the outside of the house. In addition I also removed the meter enclosure and provided an Arlington back-plate, and I install (3) Arlington DBVS1C "in use" receptacle enclosures with new GFI receptacles in each. I cut the holes into the original siding and left them hanging loose so that they could install the foam insulation and Tyvec wrap and then nail them on by the flanges. What a real nice guy I was.:rolleyes:

I went back to the job a month later to do some additional work on the inside and found that the meter enclosure was installed on the vinyl siding with no back plate, the GFI 'in use" boxes were discarded and the GFI receptacles installed with a std. indoor trim plate screwed into the siding with sheetrock screws and back boxes behind them.:mad:

GFI code violation

I wrote a letter to the building dept and advised the electrical inspector that there was unauthorized electrical work done on this job and advised him of the code violations. He showed up on the job, passed the interior work but failed the exterior. Is there anything else that any of you would do in this situation to protect yourself ?:confused:

celtic

He showed up on the job, passed the interior work but failed the exterior. Is there anything else that any of you would do in this situation to protect yourself ?:confused:

I do not know if you mentioned it or not in your letter, but I would have had the GC/sider listed as the one who did the work.

I would have mentioned [in writing] it to the HO that there are now additional charges to repair this work, purchase additional material, etc.

Lastly, I would have been "on site" to meet/discuss with the EI.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I do not know if you mentioned it or not in your letter, but I would have had the GC/sider listed as the one who did the work.

I would have mentioned [in writing] it to the HO that there are now additional charges to repair this work, purchase additional material, etc.

Lastly, I would have been "on site" to meet/discuss with the EI.

Did all that. The EI knows that the GC did the work. The GC was so bold as to tell the EI that "he does this all the time and has never had any problem with inspections". Whereby, the EI proceeded to tell him to provide a letter from his electrician (on his electrician's letterhead showing his license #) stating that he was the one who did the work. I then proceeded to tell the GC that this unauthorized work was done under my license and that doing so constitutes a 4th degree felony in the State of NJ subject to a $1K fine - first offense. I have not reported this to the DCA yet. I'll have to wait to see if he pulls the siding off and has me replace the Arlington boxes at his expense. Meanwhile, he later admited that he had no electrician. Can you imagine if he blew himself up while trying to re-attach the meter enclosure LIVE !!!

Last edited:

celtic

Goldstar...can you PM me the GC/sider company name?

If not, no big deal, just curious ....I do not wish to embarrass or escalate anything/anyone.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Who do you think did it?
The HO?
Little green men from Mars?
I don't KNOW who did it. And unless the OP actually has personal knowledge of who did it, he should not be accusing anyone.

He might want to point out how he left the project, and how he found it when he returned. Let the inspection agency make its own assumptions.

growler

I don't KNOW who did it. And unless the OP actually has personal knowledge of who did it, he should not be accusing anyone.

It doesn't make any difference who actually did the work, the job was under the control of the general contractor and he is responsible for all work performed.

In this area he couldn't even hire another electrician to do the work, the job has been permitted an only one permit is allowed for the same items. Another contractor can't work under your permit.

celtic

It doesn't make any difference who actually did the work, the job was under the control of the general contractor and he is responsible for all work performed.

In this area he couldn't even hire another electrician to do the work, the job has been permitted an only one permit is allowed for the same items. Another contractor can't work under your permit.

In a nutshell....that is why the GC gets the trouble.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I did the original work to code. My work was removed (technically under my license because there was only 1 electrical permit taken out) and shoddy work installed. The siding sub-contractor did the work under the specific orders of the GC. As far as I'm concerned the GC is responsible.
He might want to point out how he left the project, and how he found it when he returned. Let the inspection agency make its own assumptions
I wouldn't let any agency or authority make assumptions for work done while my license is hanging out there on the clothes line. If the job closed out and somebody wanted to go back there, rip off the siding and install some Bozo looking siding box then be my guest. As long as I was inspected and passed inspection for the work I did then I'm in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.