Siemens combo starter wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjoguy

Occupation
Electrical Design Eng
I have CAD drafted a wiring schematic for my E.C. to follow. I have never done Siemens, always use Allen-Bradley bucket configuration to set up motor schematic. This would be the first time my plant would be using a Siemens starter. We couldn't wait for typical Sq D which had a several months lead time! Just had a very, very hard time understanding Siemens wiring diagram. After spending couple of hours, I still don't fully get it. I read past posts from 2021 on this and totally agreed Siemens could have done a far better job.

I want paste my Snip it image of my schematic but this post won't allow it. They say a pictorial view is worth a 1000 words!

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can finalize my drawing and release it for construction. Thanks...

Banjoguy

Occupation
Electrical Design Eng
Waiting to get the Catalog #. Had hope to get it today but did not. On Monday when I'm back in the office.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Here is a basic diagram for their non reversing magnetic motor starter if the helps....

That’s the diagram for the old Furnas starters that Siemens bought a while ago. If the starter is an IEC style, the diagram will be different. That’s why a part number would be great.

But you mention “bucket”, so is this a Siemens Motor Control Center? If so, I think it would most likely be that old Furnas diagram, unless it is an “Intelligent” MCC that is using ProfiBus or ProfiNet as a control network. Those starters require their smart overload called a “Simocode” and that is truly a different beast when it comes to wiring.

Banjoguy

Occupation
Electrical Design Eng
Basic diagram was helpful to understand this weird animal. I found Sizes 5-8 showed a far better representation than the Sizes 00-4. Why can Siemens do a better job with its Sizes 00-4? At any rate, I will double back with my E.C. to check to see how was wired up. He purchased the unit being pre-wired. Have to check if the Pilot Light is P-T-T configured. We have a practice that our pilot lights to be set up that way.

Sorry about the bucket sounded misleading. Virtually all of our MCCs are Allen-Bradley. Very few are Sq D. No Siemens MCC whatsoever. This Siemens Starter, to be field installed some distance away, will be fed from one of my Allen-Bradley fusible disconnect buckets in our ECR.

Thanks for the post responses, Gents.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Ok, so if this is just a starter in a box being supplied by an EC, then there is no telling what he is giving you without a part number. Siemens sells starters from Siemens Germany (IEC style), Siemens USA products (NEMA style, ex Furnas) and Siemens Definite Purpose (also ex Furnas) that all will have different wiring diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.