Siemens three tier series ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I don't know why, but I was thinking about selective coordination combinations when I posted that. Not series ratings.

They do list table 13 which includes triple ratings - but that looks like a pretty short table.

I'd also note the (3) bullets above the one you mentioned. Those seem to give you some chances to combine series ratings, or use a 3rd fully rated breaker anywhere in the combination.

But to be honest, my head is spinning after reading those bullets.

Yes it is a bit confusing and requires some cogitating. That Eaton manual seems to have the best instructions for applying series ratings that I have found. The ones form other manufacturers seem to just list the series ratings without describing how to use them and apply to things like combinations.

Just to be very specific, this is the kind of thing that people seem to incorrectly do all the time, and I admit I thought was ok in the past:

Devices A,B, C from utility to branch. Say actual AFC is 65k. Say AFC at C is not significantly lower to allow its use without a series rating. AIC of A is 65k, B is 22K, C is 10k (full, not series ratings). Say a series rating exists for A and B, and also for B and C. Many will apply both to use these three devices together. The problem is, the AFC at B is not actually 22k so you cant use the B-C series rating. The only way to use these three together is if they have a tested three tier rating.

Square D seems to have a decent number of three tier ratings, Eaton as a few, but if I am reading that correctly, the first device has to be a fuse in all cases. Siemens I cant find any.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Devices A,B, C from utility to branch. Say actual AFC is 65k. Say AFC at C is not significantly lower to allow its use without a series rating. AIC of A is 65k, B is 22K, C is 10k (full, not series ratings). Say a series rating exists for A and B, and also for B and C. Many will apply both to use these three devices together. The problem is, the AFC at B is not actually 22k so you cant use the B-C series rating. The only way to use these three together is if they have a tested three tier rating.

That makes sense.

Square D seems to have a decent number of three tier ratings, Eaton as a few, but if I am reading that correctly, the first device has to be a fuse in all cases. Siemens I cant find any.

Now I realize that table 13 only has fuses in the first column. Making 2 of the breakers fully rated is the only option I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.