Sign builder a bit over his head hoping for a answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrinBrunner

The vendor for some LED back lit displays I need to install won't support anything but one driver/transformer per display as the product is shipped, but I don't have room for all the transformers. Basically their response is "This is the product, use it the way we say, for anything else, you're on your own." I understand that, but I'm hoping for a little more guidance.

I just want to know if I can replace six LED driver/transformers with one. The attached drawing shows what I have and what I'd like to do.

The displays are 36"X24" and will be mounted as shown, right next to each other. I'll use wire nuts and wire that is equivalent gauge/type to whatever is on the displays to reach the few feet to bus bar. The displays haven't arrived yet.

I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm not going to blow up the displays OR a warning that I will.

Thank you.

Attachments

• LED power.jpg
    LED power.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0

iwire

Staff member
I can't power up signs that are not listed. Is your sign going to meet listing requirements once you change from the vendors design?

600.3 Listing. Electric signs, section signs, and outline lighting ? fixed, mobile, or portable ? shall be listed and installed in conformance with that listing, unless otherwise approved by special permission.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I can't power up signs that are not listed. Is your sign going to meet listing requirements once you change from the vendors design?

I would agree. I suspect that these displays are probably listed and designed as Class 2 products and the OPs design would also violate that.

mgookin

600.3 Listing. Electric signs, section signs, and outline lighting ? fixed, mobile, or portable ? shall be listed and installed in conformance with that listing, unless otherwise approved by special permission.

And "approved" in a code means acceptable to the AHJ. Ask your local inspector for permission.

Anyone disagree?

iwire

Staff member

And "approved" in a code means acceptable to the AHJ. Ask your local inspector for permission.

Anyone disagree?

And special permission means more

Special Permission. The written consent of the authority having jurisdiction.

I would say that is not going to happen based on what were likely class 2 power supplies being replaced with a 20 amp power supply.

DarrinBrunner

Uh, so is this OK, then? The distributor, not my vendor, responded thusly

Uh, so is this OK, then? The distributor, not my vendor, responded thusly

I sent him the same drawing I sent you guys. The Watts/Amp specs I have my drawing are from the brochure, he quotes something higher. He responded in two separate emails (below). In your guys non-binding, non-legal opinion:D, am I good to go, then?:

Hi Darrin,

Yes, I believe the actual power draw for these panels is 36 watts 3.0 amp output at 12 Volts, I will double check this later today,... at 120 V you are only 1/10th so 1- 15 amp circuit is amble for all units
-for sure you could have 3 panels in series with a 120 watt 5.0 amp 12 Volt power supply
- best also do use a UV- laminated print inside LED panel

Rob Stoneham
Lipco LED Products, Inc.
www.lipco.ca
D:604. 803. 8905

Darrin,
6 panels as per drawing provided with the 240 watt is adequate for the 6

Rob Stoneham
Lipco LED Products, Inc.
www.lipco.ca
D:604. 803. 8905

Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:46 AM
To: rs@lipco.ca
Subject: Replace six power supplies with one? Re: Lipco EX1-2436

We have 12 Lipco EX1-2436 panels on the way for the attached design (Qty. 2). This sign will be outside in direct sunlight. The box the displays are mounted to is dried-in and the power supply will be inside the box. The two center displays are Samsungs, powered from a separate circuit.

Is there a way to replace the six separate power supplies for your panels with one supply?

Thank you.

iwire

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.