sign lighting transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibz78

Installed new transformer single phase 208 primary 120 v secondary.
With all connections made up on secondary fuse on one line blows. If secondary is not connected fuse will stay but when secondary is hooked up to sign all parking lot lights go out. I'm stumped! Im trying to go from 208 to 120 and get the sign lit.
Checked all connections with technical, could it be a bad transformer?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
With all connections made up on secondary fuse on one line blows. If secondary is not connected fuse will stay but when secondary is hooked up to sign all parking lot lights go out. I'm stumped! Im trying to go from 208 to 120 and get the sign lit.
Sure, it could be... but we can't make that determination from here, especially just telling us a few symptoms.

Is the transformer primary connected to the parking lot lighting circuit?

Circuit rating, and load without transformer connected?

With transformer energized, secondary disconnected, what is the secondary voltage?

Disconnected secondary ohms across load, ohms to ground (use megger if you have one)?

Ratings of transformer, fusing, sign load, etc. may help.

Electric-Light

Do you not have a neutral? Why can't you just connect the sign lighting from phase to neutral?

Does it go out instantly or over a few minutes?
If it's instant, you have a short. If it takes a while, its an overload.

Tibz78

got it!

got it!

Thanks for the feed back.
I figured it out, the original line ran out of the parking lot light underground in pvc it came up to the transformer they used a pice of liquid tight. The liquid tight was abot 4" then changed back over to pvc. The change over section was buried and what happened was the pvc shrunk and exposed the conductors and allowed water to fill the conduit. The liquid tight had no connections to the pvc just shoved inside!
there were spots on the insulation that breaks just enough to cause a problem and quick job become a two day event!
Don't know why my wiggies didn't pick up the short on continuity though?
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.