Simplex fire alarm device compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Are simplex fire alarm devices compatible on a Pyrotronics fire alarm system?

Since you say "Pyrotronics" I'm assuming you mean that you have a conventional system, such as the venerable "System 3" since the "Pyrotronics" name hasn't been used in about 25 years. Pyrotronics was bought by Cerberus, a Swiss company, in 1988 and operated in the US as Cerberus Pyrotronics. Cerberus was later bought by Siemens (1999), and the fire portfolio is part of their Building Technologies division. The "System 3" was the flagship panel to carry the "Pyrotronics" name. Now, when you say "compatible", do you mean "listed for use with" or "probably will function with"? If the first, then the answer is "no". If the later, the answer is, "it depends". A manual pull station or heat detector will do just fine. A smoke detector may or may not operate properly.

If you are in fact talking about addressable fire alarm panels, the answer will be no, you cannot use Simplex devices on a Siemens/Cerberus Pyrotronics/Pyrotronics addressable panel.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Are simplex fire alarm devices compatible on a Pyrotronics fire alarm system?

Have you considered consulting the respective manufacturers regarding compatibility?

Let me know if you're going to be connecting a Simplex smoke detector to one of the 220 volt D.C. Pyrotronics panels. It would be a lot of fun to watch.

Shujinko

Thanks for the informative response gadfly56. I have to go look at this system later this week and the owner wanted to see if simplex devices were compatible, speaker/strobes, smoke detectors, pull stations, etc. It is an existing addressable fire alarms system (pyro) in a library application. We are looking to provide design to remodel one of the floors. These (simplex & pyro) being addressable systems, I imagine have proprietary programming which will probably not be able to communicate with each other's F/A devices?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thanks for the informative response gadfly56. I have to go look at this system later this week and the owner wanted to see if simplex devices were compatible, speaker/strobes, smoke detectors, pull stations, etc. It is an existing addressable fire alarms system (pyro) in a library application. We are looking to provide design to remodel one of the floors. These (simplex & pyro) being addressable systems, I imagine have proprietary programming which will probably not be able to communicate with each other's F/A devices?

You "imagine" correctly. Did the owner get a good deal on E-bay for Simplex devices? :lol: Stick with Siemens for new devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.