Since you guys are so smart.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Where would you install the receptacles to make this a LEGAL installation according to the NEC? The counter is about 9 feet long. Each appliance garage to the left and right of the microwave has a double duplex inside.
DSC00517.jpg

[ April 30, 2005, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

jwelectric

Re: Since you guys are so smart.....

Where would you install the receptacles to make this a LEGAL installation according to the NEC?
OOps I'll be back.
Seeing as you haven?t given us any more information than this I suppose we would need to read to whole book.

[ April 30, 2005, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

dillon3c

I would put one duplex for 20 amp appliance circuit (GFI protected) under wall hung wine rack.Microwave, -if not fixed on same circuit-"all thats required".Appliance docks,no outlet requirements of this areas..(granted I'm assuming microwave is not fixed)..just looks slid into place to me..

[ April 30, 2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Scott, looking at your problem and 210.52(C)(1), I'd say you just need one under the wine bottles and then one on the wall at the end of the counter.

Cabinet doors are not wall space. ;)

dillon3c

Originally posted by georgestolz:
210.52(C)(1) then one on the wall at the end of the counter ;)
: bro george would be correct..If twelve inches or greater..Morning Mr. Stolz :p

electricmanscott

There is a receptacle under the wine rack. The micro is built in with a receptacle behind it on a separate 20 amp circuit. The fridge under the counter is on a separate 20 amp circuit as well. The lady battled on every aspect of receptacle locations and wanted to see nothing.(including a receptacle wall to the left of the cabinets) So it's NEC vs customer vs inspector with me in the middle. With the doors open you have plenty of places to plug stuff in. I would allow this installation if it were up to me, that's why I did it this way. :) Here is another challenge. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/electricmanscott/DSC00519.jpg

electricmanscott

By the way, I agree with you George but like I said it was a battle and since I see no real safety issue I opted to let her win this one and leave out the recptacle on the left end.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Here is another challenge.
Nicely done. As long as the receptacle is not over 20" above the countertop, and has a mate out of camera view in a similar location, you're compliant with 210.52(C)(1) and (5). :)

Personally, I don't know what people have against seeing devices. In this case, I can understand it, but I'd almost rather see the receptacle in the wall as opposed to seeing a box when I open my cabinet door. :D

dillon3c

Second Pic..:210.52(c)(5)

Noted: Mr stolz is correct... :D

[ April 30, 2005, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

apauling

does not look like counter top to me, looks like shelf i front of garage doors. area to right would be counter

milwaukeesteve

In your first pic, I would say only in the space to the right below the wine bottles.
The space on the left would not require, because that is not linear wall space. Linear wall space is measured along the back wall of the cabinet/countertop.
2 things:
---when you open the left door, it would hit the plug/cord of anything there,
---If you open the door, then an outlet would be available for use inside of that garage.

How many items are actually used in a garage? Usually they are just stored (while still plugged in) inside the garage. You open the door and slide out the blender. This way you just open the door to plug the blender in first.

[ May 02, 2005, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: milwaukeesteve ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by milwaukeesteve:
In your first pic, I would say only in the space to the right below the wine bottles.
The space on the left would not require, because that is not linear wall space. Linear wall space is measured along the back wall of the cabinet/countertop.
Uh, you got something to back that up? As I see 210.52(C)(1), wall space is wall space. If that space measured along the wall line is 12" or greater, it qualifies. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.