Single disconnect in detached structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Bob

One thing that I noticed about the panel you posted was it is a three phase panel.

Do you have a label stating that six disconnects is allowed on a single phase panel?

I have searched all over and can not find a single phase panel that make the statement of up to six disconnect for the main. All I can find state that they are suitable as service equipment when a single main is installed.

iwire

Staff member
I have searched all over and can not find a single phase panel that make the statement of up to six disconnect for the main. All I can find state that they are suitable as service equipment when a single main is installed.

Nope, I have no picture of that, but the fact that I don't have a picture of one or that you can not find one means bubcus. :smile:

Some panels are only suitable for service equipment.

Some panels are suitable for service equipment with only one main.

Some panels are suitable for service equipment with one to six OCPDs

Some panels are never suitable for service equipment.

The bottom line is follow the NEC and make sure you have the right equipment for the job at hand ............. pretty much like every other electrical job. :smile:

I am willing to bet if I chose a single phase panelboard instead of a 'Loadcenter' I could get it anyway I wanted.

M. D.

... or where not more than six disconnecting means are installed.

My point was that there are panels available that are suitable for service equipment without having to use a single main.

The age is not important as they are still available to this day.:smile:

There would need to be a combination of breakers that can occupy the spaces available with or without or with a combination of both,.. the use of handle ties.????
I know this horse has been beaten ,..but this has always been a bit confusing to me

U.L marking guide

20. A panelboard with the neutral insulated from the enclosure may be marked

?Suitable for use as service equipment when not more than six main disconnecting means are provided?

when the following conditions are met:

A. There must be at least one combination of switching units that can be mounted to occupy all available space for switching units; and, whether by using handle ties or similar devices, not more than six main disconnects will result (including factory-installed disconnects).

*See Item 23 for lighting and appliance panelboards.

B. With this combination of switching units, no more than six overcurrent-protective devices will be connected to each ungrounded service conductor.
Note that a panelboard marked ?Suitable for use as service equipment when not more than six main disconnecting means are provided? may permit some combinations of switching units varying in ampere ratings and physical size that would exceed the six disconnect rule on a completely filled panelboard. The six disconnect rule can be exceeded if handle-ties are not installed where needed.

iwire

Staff member
Now I am entirely confused, I thought I was getting a handle on "A" but "B" just messed me all up.

That section does not seem to match what I see in the field even with much newer equipment than 89.

M. D.

I think (b) is mostly a caution that there are instances where you could have a so marked 18 crt panel that complies with three pole breakers but not 18 1 pole ,..you would need the ties or be in violation of the NEC???

Status
Not open for further replies.