Single family dwelling 200a panel

Therealcrt

Occupation
Electrician
New construction! I have a bedroom receptacles only circuit (5 receptacles) on a 15 amp acfi breaker. Everytime a motor turns on that’s on a completely different circuit such as a compressor or sump pump it tripped the bedroom acfi breaker. Yes ALL wiring is correct at the panel and at the corresponding circuits. I thought it was just a coincidence because before the motors on the other circuits would run, the bedroom circuit had a “slow trip” sometimes it held for minutes sometimes for seconds but it tripped EVERYTIME a motor load was running on completely separate circuits, any ideas why? Is it a faulty breaker possibly for the bedroom circuit

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Well, you could try changing the breaker. But if you've spent any time here reading what we all have to say about AFCIs, the only thing that is going to fix your problem is throwing that useless piece of garbage in the trash.

-Hal

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you can easily reproduce the problem the first thing I would do is disconnect both load wires from the breaker to see if the breakers still trips.

Also, have you tried connecting a large load to the receptacle circuit? If not connect a hair dryer, space heater or similar to see if the breaker holds ok.