Single phase 220v with chinese heater.

awillard

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Hello, I've recently come across some equipment that the machine shop we have been doing work at bought a Chinese heater.

It says to supply single phase 220v and doesn't give a line diagram.

Do I need a transformer to bring the voltage up/down to 220v line to neutral.

The wiring I hook up to is a brown/blue/greenyellow.

It's sort of a debate between me and my piers.
Some are saying I need two supplies of 110v
Some are saying to get a transformer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

No transformer needed. Just feed it line-to-line on the blue and brown wires, G/Y is the EGC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What voltage system are you using this on? If it's 240 volts that will give you a higher than the rated output and higher current on the branch circuit. If it's 208 then you'll get the opposite, lower than the rated output and lower current. Do you have a photo of the nameplate of this heater? Is it even listed?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello, I've recently come across some equipment that the machine shop we have been doing work at bought a Chinese heater.

It says to supply single phase 220v and doesn't give a line diagram.

Do I need a transformer to bring the voltage up/down to 220v line to neutral.

Probably hooking it up to what 230/240 volt source you have will work acceptable. But maybe you should consider a buck boost transformer just to be safe.
The wiring I hook up to is a brown/blue/greenyellow.

It's sort of a debate between me and my piers.
Some are saying to get a transformer.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Although the specs are lacking on the machine, I highly doubt they were asking for two separate 110V supplies. Surely they would have stated such.
Given the fact that the conductors reflect a single supply, it's not likely it needs two supplies. The colors are used in European, and other over seas areas. Brown is line/hot, blue is neutral, g/y is ground (EGC). The voltages there are normally 220V-230V hot to neutral. Whereas, US voltages are 120V hot to neutral. If these foreign machines are connected in the US, the brown/hot and blue/neutral would be connected line to line. The machine would not care how the 220V (or close) is attained.

I can't answer as to if 240V would be acceptable, but I'm sure they wanted a single voltage from a single supply, not two separate 110V supplies.
Sounds like someone who suggested two supplies was just using convenient math!

retirede

Over the years, I’ve seen quite a few imported things labeled with “110 V” or “220 V”. They all seemed to operate successfully on our standard voltages. There may be stuff so labeled that won’t work, but I haven’t seen any.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As infinity said above, if it is labeled for example as 1000 watts at 230V and you give it 240V, the watts use will increase by the square of the voltage difference. 240/230= 109%, the watts will increase by 1.092 to 1190W. Conversely if you feed it 208V, the watts will DECREASE to 220/208= .922, or 840W. As a heater, it just means to get the desired temperature from it, the heater is on either less or more than originally designed, you may never know the difference.

I’d be more concerned with the ramifications of it coming from China directly and likely not being NRTL listed. “Shop” implies it is a place of employment, OSHA and their insurance carrier is going to require that it be listed.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
. The colors are used in European, and other over seas areas. Brown is line/hot, blue is neutral, g/y is ground (EGC). The voltages there are normally 220V-230V hot to neutral. Whereas, US voltages are 120V hot to neutral. If these foreign machines are connected in the US, the brown/hot and blue/neutral would be connected line to line. The machine would not care how the 220V (or close) is attained.
^^^^^^^^^That