Single phase disconnect and fused neutrals

Nate1234

Occupation
Automation Engineer
I'm in an industrial setting. To comply with OHSA/NEC/NFPA, we like to have a lockable disconnect on any piece of equipment. Historically, most everything is 3-phase, and we'd just install a 3-phase, fused, lockable disconnect next to the machine.
We've got a single phase 120VAC boiler going in, and I expected the install would be similar, but I'm running into some questions:
- I know that according to NEC 240.22 we aren't supposed to fuse the neutral. Exceptions for 240.22 are when the overcurrent device opens all conductors in the circuit (which would not be true of a fuse), and in cases where it is required for motor overcurrent protection (this would be power to a control circuit and also a motor, the motor having it's own overcurrent protection, so I don't believe this applies).
- I understand that the disconnect device required for LOTO does not have to be fused, it's just typically this way on 3-phase for convenience.

I've checked a couple electrical suppliers, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a single phase lockable disconnect. There are plenty of 2 pole disconnects where both poles are fused (would these be allowed?). I've seen others use what appears to be a light switch on the hot leg (compared to a typical three phase disconnect with a big pull handle, those seem suspicious to me).

What is the best practice when installing a disconnect device on a single phase circuit?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I've checked a couple electrical suppliers, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a single phase lockable disconnect. There are plenty of 2 pole disconnects where both poles are fused (would these be allowed?). ...

I find both these sentences hard to believe, unless you meant a single pole disco. Any electrical supplier ought to have both fused and unfused 2-pole lockable discos in regular stock. In any case, there is nothing wrong with using only one pole of either a 2-pole or 3-pole disco, as Tom said.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

You may switch the grounded conductor as long as you simultaneously open the lines, but not fuse it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm in an industrial setting. To comply with OHSA/NEC/NFPA, we like to have a lockable disconnect on any piece of equipment. Historically, most everything is 3-phase, and we'd just install a 3-phase, fused, lockable disconnect next to the machine.
We've got a single phase 120VAC boiler going in, and I expected the install would be similar, but I'm running into some questions:
- I know that according to NEC 240.22 we aren't supposed to fuse the neutral. Exceptions for 240.22 are when the overcurrent device opens all conductors in the circuit (which would not be true of a fuse), and in cases where it is required for motor overcurrent protection (this would be power to a control circuit and also a motor, the motor having it's own overcurrent protection, so I don't believe this applies).
- I understand that the disconnect device required for LOTO does not have to be fused, it's just typically this way on 3-phase for convenience.

I've checked a couple electrical suppliers, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a single phase lockable disconnect. There are plenty of 2 pole disconnects where both poles are fused (would these be allowed?). I've seen others use what appears to be a light switch on the hot leg (compared to a typical three phase disconnect with a big pull handle, those seem suspicious to me).

What is the best practice when installing a disconnect device on a single phase circuit?
You could use a dummy fuse, or simply splice the neutral in the disconnect enclosure, connecting the ungrounded conductor to the disconnect.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I find both these sentences hard to believe, unless you meant a single pole disco. Any electrical supplier ought to have both fused and unfused 2-pole lockable discos in regular stock. In any case, there is nothing wrong with using only one pole of either a 2-pole or 3-pole disco, as Tom said.
Not in heavy duty. for sure. 3 pole only.

Strathead

Occupation

I have done Universities and hospitals with high end, but reasonable Electrical Engineers. Every time I use a heavy duty single pole switch Hubbell 1221 for 20 amp, with a Garvin part number TOGLOK. Never once had a complaint. Hope this helps. I use these for most small circ pumps, VAV,s etc. Huge advantage never had an inspector want 36 inches of working space.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have done Universities and hospitals with high end, but reasonable Electrical Engineers. Every time I use a heavy duty single pole switch Hubbell 1221 for 20 amp, with a Garvin part number TOGLOK. Never once had a complaint. Hope this helps. I use these for most small circ pumps, VAV,s etc. Huge advantage never had an inspector want 36 inches of working space.
That's where I was going.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Isn't that an unusual but almost universally acceptable situation...the fused or non-fused disconnect almost always is judged to fall under 110.26 but the 1221 is not :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Isn't that an unusual but almost universally acceptable situation...the fused or non-fused disconnect almost always is judged to fall under 110.26 but the 1221 is not :)
I never thought about that when I did it but that's another good reason to use it.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Isn't that an unusual but almost universally acceptable situation...the fused or non-fused disconnect almost always is judged to fall under 110.26 but the 1221 is not
New to the 2023 NEC, 440.14 specifies that the disconnect for Article 440 equipment always has to meet the 110.26(A) working space requirements. So that would apply the 1221 heavy duty switch as well. But not relevant for the OP.

Cheers, Wayne

norcal

Order a switch with a solid neutral, problem solved, if does not have to be a heavy duty switch, a non fusible pullout A/C disco works too.

Strathead

Occupation
I disagree with a non fused disconnect falling under 110.26 anyway, but I am just an electrician. I question even a fused one. Since an ohmmeter is all one needs to never need to work on one while energized.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I disagree with a non fused disconnect falling under 110.26 anyway, but I am just an electrician. I question even a fused one. Since an ohmmeter is all one needs to never need to work on one while energized.
That's a commonly debated subject. The 2023 Code clarified it in regard to HVAC disconnects in 440.14 by mandating 110,.26 applied to the disconnecting means.

Nate1234

Occupation
Automation Engineer
This is what I was referring to by "I've seen others use what appears to be a light switch on the hot leg".
In my experience, locking out a switch (in my case it would typically be something like an 800T-H2 selector with an 800T-NX446 lockable guard on it), is not generally used as an approved disconnecting means. This might simply be because such a switch would typically only lock out the control power. It just never sat quite right with me to use a switch as a disconnect, so I wasn't sure it that was acceptable in this case.

What is the ampacity of the circuit?
The boiler calls for 18.25 amps, so I was going to fuse it at 25amps.

Looks like my options are:
- a switch on the hot leg with a lockout device (if my circuit was below the amperage rating of the switch).
- use only one leg of a fused multiple-pole disconnect.
- use an unfused disconnect (I have since found some at another supplier, so they are more common than I initially found).

I've decided to go with a Siemens GNF221RA. I have the appropriate amount of clearance area as defined by 110.26 (even if it's not required, it's nice to have).

Thank you all!