Single phase to three phase

Occupation
Electrician
Am I able to connect 3 single phase control transformers to form a 3 phase wye connection? The source voltage would be 120/240.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No. With the "neutral" point of the primaries floating, the voltages would vary all over the place.

You are talking about the primaries, right?

Occupation
Electrician
No. With the "neutral" point of the primaries floating, the voltages would vary all over the place.

You are talking about the primaries, right?
Yes, my thought was to take 120 to the primary side or 3 single transformers, and connect them all to the same neutral. I'm not an engineer so I didn't know if there would be an issue with having 2 of the transformers on the same phase, so my next thought was to get a phase from a 120v generator haha. It's just an experiment I was going to try

Sent from my SM-A037U using Tapatalk

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
As far as I know there is no way the make three phase (120 deg phase angle ) from split phase or pure single phase using just transformers. We typically use a phase converter, inverter, or a VFD to make three phase from single phase.

kwired

Electron manager
Using two "phase conductors" and the neutral from a wye derived source however you could build a bank that has three phase open delta secondary.