single pole break away connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Hi,

I am mostly off line buried in a combination of work and family stuff, and I
don't know if I'll be up for air/chatting any time soon.

I have an application where the 'mini CamLok' connectors (eg,
http://www.nationalsupplyonline.com/Cam_Lok_1015.html ) are almost perfect.

Could anyone point me to similar devices which do not lock, and which will
'break-away' if sufficient tension is applied to the cable.

At the present time I am considering using 'Anderson' power connectors
(http://www.andersonpower.com/products/ ) but figured I'd ask for pointers.

The application is for a power cable strung between two moving vehicles. There
is a messenger line to take the tension, and the mech-e is dealing with all of
the support issues. But I got asked (with insufficient time) if I could provide
electrical connectors which would give if the messenger line breaks away.

Thanks
Jon

Hi,

The application is for a power cable strung between two moving vehicles. There
is a messenger line to take the tension, and the mech-e is dealing with all of
the support issues. But I got asked (with insufficient time) if I could provide
electrical connectors which would give if the messenger line breaks away.

Thanks
Jon

Jon
I am understanding this correctly? you want to use break away connectors between moving vehicles????

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Jon
I am understanding this correctly? you want to use break away connectors between moving vehicles????

Want is perhaps too strong a term :)

There will be a messenger cable between the two cables. It will be carrying all of the mechanical stresses, and making sure that the electrical cable is suitably slack.

On one side of the messenger cable link there _may_ be a mechanism which separates under excessive tension. I want to arrange things so that _if_ the mechanical support is lost, the electrical connection will break in a well defined fashion.

-Jon

dbuckley

How about a five pin C17 (CEE-17) 125A red connector (rated 500V) with the locking latch removed.

If you've got a cantenary wire between two trucks supporting a 100A three phase cable, its all going to get ugly sooner or later, and providing its a straight pull the plug (male or female, the one on the end of the cable) should come out of the mated part cleanly, without ripping the socket off the truck.

Or possibly better still, have all the connectors cable mounted so the forces are always in-line with the pins.

If this were my nightmare I'd have strict rules requiring the cable and connectors to be very closely examined should such a brutal disconnection occur.

Just an added thought - since I'm suggesting removing the locking latch there is a possibility that the connectors could come undone in service. If this is a big issue then get the seven pin varianbt of the socket; the two extra pilot pins unmate before the five main pins. Build a double relay loop with alarms in both trucks so that both trucks are aware that the electrical connection is about to be lost. It might even cause a stop and/or opening breakers; I have no idea what the detail of your applicaiton is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.