SIP homes????

Status
Not open for further replies.

khixxx

I just got back from looking at a new construction home.The problem i have is that i have never seen this type before. Its called a structural insulatted panel or SIP. The home owner all ready has the walls up and the nsulation in and basically you have to fish the wires. How can the inspector do a rough inspection when the wires are not exposed? You have to cut the plywood away to instail the boxes to. please input any code requirements for this type of home. thanks

bphgravity

Re: SIP homes????

I have seen several of these homes recently. There is not too much to inspect. The panels come with pre-cored chases from ceiling to floor, so really all you need to do is check to make sure the box is securely mounted and that the proper wiring is pulled. Most of the enterior walls are standard stud type. Its not much different than blowing out a hole in a block wall and fishing the NM down to a box.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I just did one of these. It's little tricky, but not too bad once you get the idea.

Just be ready to let the customer know that not everything is possible, if the panels are already in place. :)

mdshunk

I did one of these and didn't make a cent on the job. Seriously ask yourself if you need this work. Luckily, this type of construction isn't very popular in my neck of the woods.

I used metal boxes with ears, adjusted them for the sheetrock thickness, and screwed the ears to the plywood, but there might be another method. That was all I could think of at the time. A Rotozip helps make quicker work of cutting the box openings.

khixxx

This job is tricky, and my first residential project for new construction, I do have another guy that will help out that has residential experience. The company that designs the homes has a website with some info www.panelwrights.com This is going to be a TM job with the home owner fishing the walls and putting string in. I'm located in md. Thanks for the replies, i'm going to contact the AHJ this monday and get his oppion. I just wanted to get some ideas for code regulations for these types of homes.thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by khixxx:
This is going to be a TM job with the home owner fishing the walls and putting string in.
I wouldn't waste his time. A typical panel has a grid of chases in it--there's no real telling how you are going to pull a circuit until you actually pull the circuit.

When you go to rough it:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Have any 6' - 10' fish-tape chunks you may have laying around handy. :)</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Also, short paddle bits. I generally rough with 18" auger bits, but if the shoe and top plate aren't drilled, you're going to have some cramped quarters to drill in.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Have a flex-bit handy for those panels too small to have chases, such as under windows, wall ends, etc.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The rotozip is a must.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A holesaw for fish points, horizontal from switches.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Insulating foam: If you can get the homeowner to insulate your fishing holes, and boxes, great. Otherwise, I would insulate them when everything is pulled and you're installing the boxes.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The whole SIP idea is based around insulation. If you do a good job cutting the boxes in, then it will be too snug to properly insulate behind them after you strip out. If no one insulates them, then someone's not going to be happy about it in the end. :)

My house was a fiasco, because an unsupervised apprentice was told to run the rotozip for his first time ever. Take your time, make sure everything is level (and properly laid out!) before making your holes. ;)

wbalsam1

Hi: bphgravity: Most of the enterior walls are standard stud type. Its not much different than blowing out a hole in a block wall and fishing the NM down to a box. I'm under the impression that nm cable is not permitted within the voids of masonry blocks of exterior walls as per 334.10(A)(1) and (2), since these areas would be considered damp locations. :confused:
EDIT: I just realized you meant to spell Interior. Oops! (when I saw the "e" I immediately read "exterior". Sorry.

[ August 22, 2005, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: wbalsam1 ]

mthead

Originally posted by georgestolz:
[QB] I would recommend these boxes:
bow_120_lbp.gif
bow_234_lbp.gif
bow_345_lb.gif

Their outline is square, and their "front-nailing flap" sticks out enough that a whoops with a rotozip will not be the end of the world. They are actually for steel studs, and can be found here.

The nail-on portion of the multigang boxes is easily removed with dykes or a sawzall for a smooth look.

"Remove those flaps or alter those bx's and use them in an unapproved way and you void the listing"--sorry to be a spoil sport,bu...,?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

mthead,

Only the AHJ can decide if a field modification would "void" a listing. Just because a device is "altered" does not mean it has lost it's NRTL listing.

IMO if the walls of the boxes are not compromised, I would not care how they are externally mounted.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by mthead:
Originally posted by georgestolz:
The nail-on portion of the multigang boxes is easily removed with dykes or a sawzall...
Remove those flaps or alter those bx's and use them in an unapproved way and you void the listing"--sorry to be a spoil sport,bu...,?
Where does it say I need listed boxes? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.