Site Light Clearance From Power Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

RATLIFF

I Installed A Site Light 3 Years Ago On A Job Site, At The Time, The Location Was Approved By The Electrical Inspector And The Engineer. Now The Power Company Tells The Owners That The Pole Is In Voilation Of The National Electrical Safety Code.
The Only Code That I Have Found In The Nec Is 225.25, Which Allows The Installation. The Light Is Approximatly 3 Or 4 Feet Below The Power Company Lines, We Are Inside A Fence On Private Property Not In The Power Company Easement.
I Will Move The Pole If I Am In Voilation, But I Can't Find A Code That Indicates A Voilation.
Any Information Would Be Helpful
Thanks
Greg

jtester

The utility is quoting the NESC, not the NEC. You could refer to NESC 234C for "Clearances Of Wires Conductors, Cables, and Rigid Live Parts from Buildings, Signs, Billboards, Chimneys, Radio and Television Antennas, Tanks, and Other Installations Except Bridges".

You can't simply look up a value in a table, and compare it to a measurement. This code requires that you develop a conductor movement envelope and apply clearances to it.

Chances are, if you're within 3 or 4' of a primary line, you are in violation of the NESC. Talk to the utility, if they sound like they know what they are talking about, they are probably correct.

Jim T

RATLIFF

Site Light Location

Site Light Location

I Understand That As Far As The Nesc I Would Be In Violation But Our Installation Is Governed By The Nec, Which I Am Not In Violation.
My Question Is That If I Am Acceptable In The Nec And In Violation Of The Nesc, Which One Do I Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.