Site Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This is not an electrical question. It's more of a site/forum question.
From time to time I see gibberish in some of the posts, I was wondering if everyone sees this or is it something on my end.

It usually is this:  

What is this, and what causes it?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
This is not an electrical question. It's more of a site/forum question.
From time to time I see gibberish in some of the posts, I was wondering if everyone sees this or is it something on my end.

It usually is this:  

What is this, and what causes it?

I've never seen that here. Can you post an example of where you saw it?

97catintenn

I haven't seen it here either. Only on other message boards when reading old threads from years ago. I think that happened with site domain changes or hosting changes

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've never seen that here. Can you post an example of where you saw it?

15 hp air compressor 3 phase 208 voltage

I have a question with a 15 hp air compressor. 208 voltage 3 phase. the full load current is 46.2. so for wire size i take it by 125 percent for 57 amps. i can run number 6 thwn/thhn. But for the breaker size i use 250 percent for the inverse time breaker and come up with 115 amps for breaker size. But the maunfacter told me i can put it on a 90 amp breaker and was trying to figure out why is this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When I posted one time the post was taking a long time to upload so I hit the submit button again- which sometimes works to speed the upload. When I did I got that html stuff in my post but I edited it out. Only once did I notice it.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
15 hp air compressor 3 phase 208 voltage

I have a question with a 15 hp air compressor. 208 voltage 3 phase. the full load current is 46.2. so for wire size i take it by 125 percent for 57 amps. i can run number 6 thwn/thhn. But for the breaker size i use 250 percent for the inverse time breaker and come up with 115 amps for breaker size. But the maunfacter told me i can put it on a 90 amp breaker and was trying to figure out why is this.

I mean, can you give me a link to look at it in it's natural habitat? :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I mean, can you give me a link to look at it in it's natural habitat? :)
Not sure what you mean by natural habitat, but the following link will take you to an example post...

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=148985&p=1439949&highlight= #post1439949

You can find others by searching html codes. I found that one by searching for " "

I think it is more apt to happen to members using the [advanced] reply editor in WYSIWYG mode. The forum software, coupled with your browser, parses the message, converting it to html code. Sometimes it gets "stuck" during that process. I've seen it quite a few times when I click on Preview Post or Submit, the forum server hangs, followed by a browser refresh or browser "back" action (haven't nailed down exactly how it happens, as it occurs rather infrequently).

hurk27

I'm thinking he was using a HTML text editor to write his post then transfer it to the forum, I have seen this before just not sure why it happens, the forum removes spaces and or gaps between sentences to shorten the post, I think it maybe this feature that when you transfer out of a text editor (copy/paste) causes some lines of code to display?:?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'm thinking he was using a HTML text editor to write his post then transfer it to the forum, I have seen this before just not sure why it happens, the forum removes spaces and or gaps between sentences to shorten the post, I think it maybe this feature that when you transfer out of a text editor (copy/paste) causes some lines of code to display?:?
It happens to me from time to time and I'm not using anything other than this site's reply editor in WYSIWYG mode... but I always edit out the html codes (PITA BTW).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
How often does this happen? I've never had it happen to me, and hadn't noticed it in others' posts.
Rather infrequently.

To give you a rough idea, a search for "nbsp" in all forums only returns 28 posts in the past year. Includes all the ones in this thread, but not ones that "nbsp" was edited out.

Status
Not open for further replies.