Size EGC in two sections panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
I've 208/120v panel with two sections, section A 30 spaces and section B 30 spaces, each with their respective ground and neutral bar. The main OCPD and feeder is going to section A. All the ECG are landed in section A, nor the grounded
conductors that are landed in their respective neutral bar, because both are joined.The SPD is mounted in section B, according to the table 250.122 can I run #10 egc for SPD (30A breaker) from section A to section B or the EGC for this section B have to be the same size EGC with the incoming feeder? This would be the only EGC in section B.
Any input or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I've 208/120v panel with two sections, section A 30 spaces and section B 30 spaces, each with their respective ground and neutral bar. The main OCPD and feeder is going to section A. All the ECG are landed in section A, nor the grounded
conductors that are landed in their respective neutral bar, because both are joined.The SPD is mounted in section B, according to the table 250.122 can I run #10 egc for SPD (30A breaker) from section A to section B or the EGC for this section B have to be the same size EGC with the incoming feeder? This would be the only EGC in section B.
Any input or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks
Don't the two sections share a common metal chassis? Why would you need an EGC from section A to B?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm trying to follow your installation.
Is panel A acting pass thru for panel B feeder? Is panel A and B fed with independent feeders?
Two issues if either is the installation. 1. Your EGC should be landed in the associated panel for each circuit. 2. You dont want the EGC between the 2 panels you want the GEC to be shared as a bonding jumper back to main disconnect, EGC and GEC have different sizing requirements.

Why is your SPD in panel B? Why no GEC in panel B? You walk into an existing installation, or your installation?

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
I got just one panel with two sections A and B. The supply power is coming to section A and section A and B joined with 3" nipple between them. For design the SPD is landed to 30A breaker 56,58,60 in section B.
This's new installation

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
According to 250.118 the metal enclosure, metal cases, metal chasis no qualify as EGC.
That issue was fixed with new section 250.109 in the 2020 code.
250.109 Metal Enclosures.
Metal enclosures shall be permitted to be used to connect bonding jumpers or equipment grounding conductors, or both, together to become a part of an effective ground-fault current path. Metal covers and metal fittings attached to these metal enclosures shall be considered as being connected to bonding jumpers or equipment grounding conductors, or both.

Note that it was never the intent of the code to prohibit using metal enclosures as equipment grounding conductors. It was just that the code language did not actually say that we could use metal enclosures as equipment grounding conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.