Size of ground rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Size of ground rods?

The rod could be as small as 1/2" x 8' and the GEC to this rod need not be larger than 6 awg regardless of service size. :)

djtazjr

Thanks Iwire, however, the service entrance will be 2-2" raceways containing 3/0 awg.

Then you size the GEC to the total area of the conductors correct?

iwire

Staff member

As with many NEC questions it is not a yes or no answer.

If this GEC is running to the water pipe it will have to be sized as you say.

If the GEC is running just to a ground rod it will not be required to be larger than 6 awg copper.

If it was running to a concrete encased electrode it would not have to be larger than 4 awg.

250.66(A) Connections to Rod, Pipe, or Plate Electrodes. Where the grounding electrode conductor is connected to rod, pipe, or plate electrodes as permitted in 250.52(A)(5) or 250.52(A)(6), that portion of the conductor that is the sole connection to the grounding electrode shall not be required to be larger than 6 AWG copper wire or 4 AWG aluminum wire.

djtazjr

Thanks iwire! I really appreciate your help. Don't want to be argumentive; always appreciate help from the more experienced.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by djtazjr:
Thanks iwire! I really appreciate your help. Don't want to be argumentative
Glad to help and I did not think you were being argumentative.

It is good to ask questions all it means is you care about your trade. :)

Personally I use a 2 awg bare to a rod.

In my opinion it stands up better over time and I usually have a cad weld mold that fits 2 awg to 3/4" rods in the truck.

tonyi

I always use the #2 and one-shots as well - one size fits all for most situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.