Size of service

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLSA

My question not to anything specific just more out of curiosity and wanting to learn.

I have been on jobs where I helped out installing service equipment and pulling the conductors but they were like 1200 amp or 2000 amp services with one service disconnect. My question is on bigger buildings or facilities like data centers what would the size of service typically be(facebook or google data center) and would there only be one main disconnect or is this where the six disconnect rule would come in and you would have 6 6000 amp disconnects with feeders going to different parts of the data center to feed switchgear?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We typically install 4000 amp services for larger commercial buildings with up to 6 service disconnects for each service. Seems like designers don't want to spend the extra money on a 4000 amp main when there is 6 or less service disconnects. IMO this is a poor design since it requires an expensive POCO shutdown if you need to work on the service.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Keep in mind when you exceed 2000 amps you can have multiple services. Some LARGE centers have multiple
services like the one infinity describes at several locations.,

Status
Not open for further replies.