sizing a condulet "c"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

I am pulling (3) 2/0, (1) 1/0, and a #4 through 2" conduit, how do I properly size a condulet "c" for pulling in the middle of the run? a standard 2" condulet "c" is marked (3) 3/0 max and 72.0 c.i.

SEO

I Don't Know What Kind Of Formula That The Manufactures Use To Get The Max # Of Conductors In A Condulet. If You Use Table 5 In Chapter 9. A 3/0 Conductor With A Thhn-2 Insulation Is Aprox ..2679 Sq In. 3 X . 2679= .80 Sq. In. ( You Didn't State What Type Of Insulation That Was Listed In The C Condulet) 3 # 2/0 Thhn Conductors Are Aprox .67 Sq In ( 3 X .2223 = .67) 1 # 1/0 Thhn Aprox .1855 And 1 # 4 Thhn Aprox .0824 . Totaling Up The Conductors That Your Installing Is Aprox .94 Sq In. Which Exceeds The .80 Sq Of The 3 # 3/0. You Might Look At A 2 1/2 " C And Use Reducing Bushings . The Cubic In Listing In Condulets Can Be Used When Splices Are Made In Condulets For Conductor Fill.

SEO

Per Art 314.28 (a) (1) If You Pull In #4 Or Larger Conductors And It Is A Straight Pull "c" Condulet You Would Have To Install A "c" Condulet For A 2" Conduit That Is 16" Long. Have You Ever Seen A 2" Condulet That Was 16" Long? It's Cut And Dry For Pull Boxes For Sizing But For Condulets The Manufactures Will List The Max# And Size Of Conductors To Install In Condulets Even Though They Are Not 8 Times The Trade Size For Straight Pulls And Possibly Not 6 Times The Trade Size Pipe For Angle Pulls (lb,lr,tee, X ) Etc. How About A Pulling Ell Can You Install Conductors Larger Than A #4? No There No Is Listing On The Pulling Ell Stating The Max Size And # Of Conductors You Can Install. Conductors Smaller Than #4 You Can Use The Conduit Fill Charts For The Type Of Raceway That You Are Using .

nakulak

I was under the impression that you could use the c style condelet as long as it was listed for the number and size of conductors you are using (if its listed, then its approved by the ahj, right ?) as someone suggested, using the next size up usually works for that situation. just my opinion, but I dont think the junction box calc applies to a listed condelet ?(314.16 C)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A C condulet needs to be sized for 8X the trade size of the raceway. Where the manufacturer lists the number and size of conductors within the condulet you may use that information for pulling purposes even if it's less than the 8X calculation. The Cu. In. area doesn't matter for pulling purposes.

nakulak

infinity said:
A C condulet needs to be sized for 8X the trade size of the raceway. Where the manufacturer lists the number and size of conductors within the condulet you may use that information for pulling purposes even if it's less than the 8X calculation. The Cu. In. area doesn't matter for pulling purposes.

then please explain 314.16 C (2005)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
nakulak said:
then please explain 314.16 C (2005)

That is explicitly for conductors #6 and smaller. The OP mentions conductors all larger than #6 so that Article wouldn't apply to his installation. Take a look at 314.28(A)(3).

Status
Not open for further replies.