Sizing breaker

Sparky125

Occupation
Electrician
I have a 3-phase, 208V dust collector with a nameplate indicating a full load current (FLA) of 23.8 amps. Should I apply the 125% rule, which brings it to 29 amps? In that case, would I use a 30-amp breaker, or should I size up to a 40-amp breaker?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a 3-phase, 208V dust collector with a nameplate indicating a full load current (FLA) of 23.8 amps. Should I apply the 125% rule, which brings it to 29 amps? In that case, would I use a 30-amp breaker,
That's what I would do. If it's just a motor than different rules apply as far as the OCPD size when compared to a piece of equipment.

Sparky125

Occupation
Electrician
I have a 3-phase, 208V dust collector with a nameplate indicating a full load current (FLA) of 23.8 amps. Should I apply the 125% rule, which brings it to 29 amps? In that case, would I use a 30-amp breaker, or should I size up to a 40-amp breaker?
That's what I would do. If it's just a motor than different rules apply as far as the OCPD size when compared to a piece of equipment.
Sorry Im not understanding. It is a 3 phase motor? Or is it not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohm2

Occupation
Electrician
Are you trying to determine your overload protection or Short and ground fault protection?
Sorry Im not understanding. It is a 3 phase motor? Or is it not.
looks like you said it was a 3-ph motor.