sizing conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

I understand that I have to use the 75 degree column for sizing my conductors based on termination rating but when I need to apply derate I can use the 90 degree column if I and using THHN. Is this correct?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No.

The final conductor ampaciity is the lesser of the derated value or the 75?C column's value.

Not exactly what Dennis said. Your conductor ampacity can exceed the 75? C ampacity after derating. Sounds like he's not talking about the conductor.

I agree it is correct however the final ampacity after derating cannot be larger then the 75C column

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Not exactly what Dennis said. Your conductor ampacity can exceed the 75? C ampacity after derating. Sounds like he's not talking about the conductor.
I know it's not exactly what Dennis said, but it amounts to the same. And no, the way I stated it, my conductor ampacity cannot exceed the 75?C column's ampacity value. Dennis is talking about the conductor.

Let's use a 1/0 copper THHN for example. The table values are 150 and 170. If the derated ampacity is 140, then 140 < 150, so the in-use ampacity is 140. If the derated ampacity is 160, then 160 > 150, so the in-use ampacity is 150.

north star

: - :

Essentially,

The terminal rating governs and the conductors cannot
exceed the [ max. ] rating of the terminal.....The 90
degree column can be used to meet the [ max. ] rating
of the terminal.....Derate the conductors down to the
terminal rating.

: - :

Status
Not open for further replies.