Sizing conduit bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvitt

Hey, how is everybody? With the NEC requirement that the conduit body (an LB in my case) be twice the cross-sectional area of the largest conduit (1/2" EMT), is the proper calculation pie times the radius squared? I would have posted this on the calcs forum but for some reason I was denied access so thanks for anything anybody has to offer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm unsure what you are asking. When you are looking at conduit bodies, 314.18 needs to be considered as far as pulls #4 and larger, as far as condutire fill 314.16 would apply.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Are you manufacturing a conduit body? If not, I think you can safely assume that any listed conduit body will meet the basic design rules given the size conduit terminations on it. If you have a larger conduit than the terminations on the body, and are wanting to use a reducer, then I could perhaps see why you're asking. I'd avoid reducing down a conduit if at all possible, and in fact prefer to oversize a conduit body one size than go the other way.

You could use pi * r^2 for the area of a conduit. But it is probably better to look in table 4 of chapter 9 under the Total Area 100% column.

Status
Not open for further replies.