Sizing Grounding Electrode Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
T. 250.66 is for electrodes however, you never need more than a #6 to the rod. I believe with #4 wire as service conductors you could actually use #8 but never larger than #6

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
and when are 3/4" ground rods required?
When the designer specifies them, if they so choose or when it is a "pipe" electrode. See below:

"(5) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. Rod and pipe electrodes shall not be less than 2.44 m (8 ft) in length and shall consist of the following materials.

(a) Grounding electrodes of pipe or conduit shall not be smaller than metric designator 21 (trade size 3∕4) and, where of steel, shall have the outer surface galvanized or otherwise metal-coated for corrosion protection.

(b) Rod-type grounding electrodes of stainless steel and copper or zinc coated steel shall be at least 15.87 mm (5∕8 in.) in diameter, unless listed."

Paul W. Abernathy
Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
CMP #5 and #17

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Actually its section 250.66, as the section gives exemptions to the sizes in Table 250.66, take a look at 250.66(A) for your answer
Well lets not actually call them exceptions fella...:) *grin*...we on that panel like to call them permitted applications inlieu of the general rule.;)

Paul W. Abernathy
CMP #5 and #17

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well lets not actually call them exceptions fella...:) *grin*...we on that panel like to call them permitted applications inlieu of the general rule.;)

Paul W. Abernathy
CMP #5 and #17

For the record he called them exemptions. :D

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Note to self - Exemptions - permitted applications inlieu of the general rule.

I am going to submit that definition...lol...but i am probably the only sucker to read that poorly...lol...

Paul W. Abernathy
CMP #5 and #17

Status
Not open for further replies.