Sizing (More for conversation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I did a preliminary calculation for a whole house generator for a new fire house. The representative of the fire house calls me up and we chat for bit. He's asking about the size of the generator because he feels it is greatly oversized. An existing fire house just down the road is much bigger with a lot more equipment and the generator is smaller but still greatly oversized in his opinion.

Every time I size a service I always feel its too high, but I follow the rules and do it right. When I size generators I feel no different. When I look at yearly demand load for buildings and see that they have used under 40% of their service size, I feel even more like "ugh that XXXA service was overkill." I know it is the code and it is the right way to do things. Any one else ever have these feelings? Like maybe some modern research could be conducted to evaluate a new calculation procedure? (unless I am unaware research is performed). Especially with new laws banning gas, and going all electric, services sizes are becoming larger.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You want to get the rules changed feel free to submit a suggestion to nfpa to change them. It is doubtful you will get anywhere unless you have some big entity pushing it, but you can try.

Another option is some kind of load shedding system that would prevent overloading the generator.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
You want to get the rules changed feel free to submit a suggestion to nfpa to change them. It is doubtful you will get anywhere unless you have some big entity pushing it, but you can try.

Another option is some kind of load shedding system that would prevent overloading the generator.
I'm not big enough to fight the man, haha.

Load shedding is always an option, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.