SKM Generator model

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMAO

Admittedly I am not an expert in either generators or SKM software. I am modeling a power system in SKM and I have been told that our generator is 1750kVA, 0.7PF rated. This results in 1225KW but I do know that the engine powering the gen is only 1000kW. Generator model in SKM only accepts kVA and PF; should I adjust the kVA for the engine and enter 1428kVA, 0.7PF?

Thanks,

LMAO

Very unusual for a 0.7 pf rating. You might want to check

For SKM, if the pf is that weird, you likely need alternator info such as the x"d for contribution info.

what is weird about the PF? Is it too low? Nonetheless that was not my question; I was wondering if I should enter Gen rating based on engine rating. Gen is rated 1750kVA but engine output is only about 1000kW.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Nope you did not ask about the pf. However:
Most every 3ph alternator of any size (say over 100kVA) is rated for KVA at .8pf lagging. I recall only two (maybe?) in the last 50 years that wasn't .8pf. Which makes your alternator suspect that it will perform as might normally be expected.

As for the value to enter, if your concern is short circuit currents, then I would suggest using the alternator nameplate data.

Since you "Know" the driver is 1000kw, I would suspect nameplate data that you "have been told".

Status
Not open for further replies.