Slab Cutting

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you had to cut an interior floor slab 80' to lay in a 3/4" and 1-1/4" EMT what would be the quickest way to do this?
Think the GC is saying we HAVE to saw cut it. Would it be saw cut they chop it out? Anything quicker?
Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, saw cut the two outer edges and chop out the concrete. Depending on how thick the pour is 1.25" elbows might not make the sweep into the wall.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Did one that was just around 8ft. (with an angle in it), took 2 men all day (about 10 hours actually). It was a housekeeping pad, so 2in. thick pad on top of a 2in thick floor, with rebar. It had to be a wet saw and water on the jack hammer too because it was in a room with running VFDs and they didn't want to have concrete dust getting sucked into the drives. Very messy project.

retirede

I wanted the discharge from a downspout run under my driveway because in the winter, the discharge froze and created a slipping hazard. 2 guys cut out 7” wide, 8’ long all the way through 5” of concrete, dug out 6” of rock, installed the pipe and poured new ‘crete in one day.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Why does the slab thickness matter. Not core drilling just chopping enough to lay in the conduit and cover with concrete. Unless they specify a depth for the conduits ot be in the slab.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why does the slab thickness matter. Not core drilling just chopping enough to lay in the conduit and cover with concrete. Unless they specify a depth for the conduits ot be in the slab.
To cover a 1.25" EMT you need maybe a minimum of 2" of depth. The problem is when you get to the wall to turn up the elbow the sweep will be sticking out of the wall so you may need to go deeper.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'd figure two guys all day. Cutting is easy. Getting the equipment staged, moving the demoed concrete to an appropriate disposal location, cleaning up the mess, returning the equipment..... the list goes on.

Actually, I wouldn't figure anything. I'd hire somebody that does this for a living and not lose a bunch of money because of all the little things I didn't see coming that ended up making what I thought was a four hour job take three days.