SLC 500 5/02 to 5/01 substitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If you go to the RA literature library, ....
http://search.rockwellautomation.co...tfields=*&lang=en&hl=en&q=inmeta:xlanguage=MU OR inmeta:xlanguage=EN+inmeta:xproductcategory=Programmable%2520Controllers+inmeta:xproductfamily=Programmable%2520Logic%2520Controllers+inmeta:xproductline~SLC+500+System&num=20

There is more than you can read in a month. Search for the catalog number, IE 1747 not SLC 5/01 or /02.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can anyone tell me if I can substitute a SLC 500 5/01 for a 5/02?

Possibly.

it appears there is a 5/01 that has 1k of memory and another that has 4k of memory, while the 5/02 has 4k. IIRC, both have just the one DH485 port.

I seem to recall though that there are some differences in the instruction set that might get you.

The easiest way to tell is to open up the 5/02 program in RSLogix500 and change the processor type to the 5/01 processor you want to use.

rlundsrud

While it has been a while since I used my RSlogix, I seem to recall that when you write your program, you must specify which processor is used. Then if you try to transfer it to a different processor, it errors on it. Also, as previously mentioned, the 5/01 and 5/02 have different instruction sets. With that said, my memory can be a big foggy thanks to synaptic pruning, but I am pretty sure that's correct.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
While it has been a while since I used my RSlogix, I seem to recall that when you write your program, you must specify which processor is used. Then if you try to transfer it to a different processor, it errors on it. Also, as previously mentioned, the 5/01 and 5/02 have different instruction sets. With that said, my memory can be a big foggy thanks to synaptic pruning, but I am pretty sure that's correct.

if you try to download it to a different processor the software will tell you and ask if you want to change the processor type. if it can be done, the conversion is painless, but if not it won't download and will give you a bunch of messages about why it cannot convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.