Sleeves too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Was told about this problem on our job site which we are going to look at tomorrow with GC. They want a solution and wouldn't it be great if I could offer up something :D:jawdrop:. From what I understand we installed sleeves either through floor or wall and they are too long. GC said the ones with no wire are no problem as obviously we will cut them. The ones with wire pulled need a solution. Could you just cut the pipe be careful not to touch the wires or is that not possible? Even if so how would you get the bushing on? Idk. Any solutions to make me look like a genius. Lol. Thanks a lot!!!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is there enough clearance to use a disk and roller type pipe cutter? Almost no chance of damaging the wiring as you cut a section off. Then all you have to do is split it to get it off the wire. By sliding it along the wire you can get it to the most accessible position.
Then use a split bushing.

mstrlucky74

Is there enough clearance to use a disk and roller type pipe cutter? Almost no chance of damaging the wiring as you cut a section off. Then all you have to do is split it to get it off the wire. By sliding it along the wire you can get it to the most accessible position.
Then use a split bushing.

I will find out tomorrow but that sound like it'll work if the clearance is there. Thanks a lot.

jumper

If the wires are not terminated and not real long, you can also slip a piece of EMT, sized smaller than the sleeve, over the wires and into the sleeve and then cut the sleeve.

If the sleeve is PVC and you cannot get the roller cutter Goldy mentioned to work ie conduit is tight to wall, nylon string can be used to cut smaller sizes.

John120/240

Install a EMT sleeve as mentioned by Jumper then use a Fein multi tool (or similar). I imagine some thing like this....well I can't get the image to load

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
True, but they should work for PVC too. Not so sure about rigid.
The first one in the search list, the cheap "exhaust and muffler cutter" should work on rigid just fine. At least once. :)

Those chain 'cutters' don't cut anything they snap cast iron pipe by force

iwire

Staff member
The tailpipe and muffler cutter does not squeeze the steel to death!

OK, fair enough

Any cutter that works like a traditional pipe cutter will roll a very sharp edge into the conduit. Not a problem when you can ream it but fileing it away with conductors in place would be tough.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
OK, fair enough

Any cutter that works like a traditional pipe cutter will roll a very sharp edge into the conduit. Not a problem when you can ream it but fileing it away with conductors in place would be tough.
A valid point!
Might have to put an EMT sleeve around the wires when filing.

Status
Not open for further replies.