Slowly I turned...and walked out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Not starting a pro vs con smoking debate here.....;) We all know the reality :grin:

Went to do some service work the other day. Woman opned the door with cigarette in mouth....went into house and into a fog of smoke....absolutley nasty, could hardly breathe.

Turned back toward the door and said "I'm not working in here it's to smoky, call someone else"

Got in the truck went home and took the Mrs out to lunch instead!

bbaumer

I say good for you.

Only thing worse is walking into a house full of cats, well not so much the cats but full of cat shhhtuff.

StreamlineGT

I couldn't agree more with both of you. I am in fact a smoker, and I cannot stand going into a house like that. It is disgusting, that is why I smoke outside. :x

frizbeedog

electricmanscott said:
Not starting a pro vs con smoking debate here.....;) We all know the reality :grin:

Went to do some service work the other day. Woman opned the door with cigarette in mouth....went into house and into a fog of smoke....absolutley nasty, could hardly breathe.

Turned back toward the door and said "I'm not working in here it's to smoky, call someone else"

...will let your employees have that same personal discretion when it comes to what they are offended by, or will you be upset that money just flew out the window?

satcom

I notice in the last few years, more customers will not let any servicemen in the house if they smell of smoke, they send them away.

The Iceman

satcom said:
I notice in the last few years, more customers will not let any servicemen in the house if they smell of smoke, they send them away.

I do alot of service work and my new partner will blow his last hit out and walk into their house. Not good for business.

electricmanscott

frizbeedog said:
...will let your employees have that same personal discretion when it comes to what they are offended by, or will you be upset that money just flew out the window?

I'm a loner so it is not going to happen.

If I did have employees I would have no problem with them taking my approach rather than have them ticked off all day.

76nemo

Basement waste sites

Basement waste sites

I just turned down an upgrade and rewire because the HO literally threw all of his bags of garbage down cellar for the entire winter instead of taking it to the dump or paying a trash man to haul it away. Warmer weather is here, talk about stentch???

I despise excessive cigarette smoke. If I wanted to breathe the crap, than I'd have one stuffed in my mouth too:roll:
We are all entitled to choices;)

frizbeedog

electricmanscott said:
If I did have employees I would have no problem with them taking my approach rather than have them ticked off all day.

...Then I wanna work for you man. Because I've done some nasty stuff in the name of.....I'm not really sure what to call it, but my list of nasty is long.

mdshunk

I've tended to sorta specialize in work nobody else wants to do. There's a safe way to do any job. If the price matches the working conditions, I'm in there with both feet. In the case of the garbage in the basement, I'd have the price of a roll-off dumpster and a couple day's worth of some laborers from Labor-Ready in the price of the rewiring job so they could remove the trash. I have already had to rent one of those "PODS" to clean out attics to do work, then put everything back in the attic.

MD Shunk, electrician to the slums.

peter d

electricmanscott said:

That's the beauty of being self employed. You can do stuff like that.

frizbeedog

mdshunk said:
I've tended to sorta specialize in work nobody else wants to do. There's a safe way to do any job. If the price matches the working conditions, I'm in there with both feet. In the case of the garbage in the basement, I'd have the price of a roll-off dumpster and a couple day's worth of some laborers from Labor-Ready in the price of the rewiring job so they could remove the trash. I have already had to rent one of those "PODS" to clean out attics to do work, then put everything back in the attic.

MD Shunk, electrician to the slums.

Marc, what's the best way in your cicumstances to basically inform the homeowner that they are in fact slobs and certain measures will have to be taken? When I leave the removal of crap up to them, it seems never to get done.

yours truly,

Partner in slumming.

mdshunk

frizbeedog said:
Marc, what's the best way in your cicumstances to basically inform the homeowner that they are in fact slobs and certain measures will have to be taken?
Beats me. I just tell them what I'm gonna do in a matter of fact way, and make them feel like they're "normal". I'm not a social worker, so I don't really intend to persuade them or get them to change their lifestyle. I could care less. I've got a job to do, and I'm going to do it as long as they can pay.

frizbeedog

mdshunk said:
Beats me. I just tell them what I'm gonna do in a matter of fact way, and make them feel like they're "normal". I'm not a social worker, so I don't really intend to persuade them or get them to change their lifestyle. I could care less. I've got a job to do, and I'm going to do it as long as they can pay.

Sound advice. Be impartial. I like it.

mdshunk

frizbeedog said:
Sound advice. Be impartial. I like it.
Ever worked on a smoke eater? Those things will make you puke. I put on Tyvek coveralls, blue rubber gloves, put a do-rag on my head, and carbon respirator to work on those. I put a big blue tarp on the floor under the ladder. All the while, patrons of the business are sitting there in their street clothes. Lord only knows what they're thinking.

tonyou812

mdshunk said:
Im with that. If there moneys green Im in. I personally cant stand pack rats but like someone said here once, you dont need a ladder to reach stuff just stand on their crap.

frizbeedog

mdshunk said:
Ever worked on a smoke eater? Those things will make you puke. I put on Tyvek coveralls, blue rubber gloves, put a do-rag on my head, and carbon respirator to work on those. I put a big blue tarp on the floor under the ladder. All the while, patrons of the business are sitting there in their street clothes. Lord only knows what they're thinking.

Smoke eater?

Status
Not open for further replies.