slpices in panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: slpices in panels

Originally posted by stevej:
Can u splice wires/ have wirenuts in a panel?
If not, please NEC refer.

Thanks
Yes, read 2002 312.8 make sure you read the entire paragraph do not stop at the first sentence. ;)

woofy

Yes, read 2002 312.8 make sure you read the entire paragraph do not stop at the first sentence.
What is meant by Cross section, and cross sectional.

I guess that phrase really stumps me.
in a typical 200amp panel (a rectangle) with the center left out (Thats where the lugs live.) A cross section would be the area located below the lugs. similar areas would be either side and the top. to measure this area as if looking from the front or the side. The side to me would be more like measuring for conduit fill.

or am I just making this too hard
Thanks.........Mike :confused:

charlie

In the area where you are splicing, imagine using a saw and cutting a slice all the way across the entire panelboard, complete with overcurrent devices, trim, etc. The space where you are splicing, looking in at the end, is the area that you have to calculate for fill. This applies to either side or the top or bottom depending on where you are splicing.

Unless you are bringing all the wires to the end of the panelboard and doubling them back a couple of times, you will not generally have a problem with room. :D

woofy

Thanks Charlie

That's what I was trying to say. Slice it look at the end of the slice and figure it like conduit fill.
Cool beans :D

Status
Not open for further replies.