Small Appliance Branch Circuits in Residential Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

new_ee

If I have more than 2 receptacle circuits in a residential kitchen (counter top) do I have to calculate the extra circuits at 1500VA each? What if I have 2 separate circuits in the kitchen (counter top) and one or more in the dining room? Do I have to include the dining room circuit at 1500VA just because its in the dining room? Or can those receptacles be covered by the 3VA/sq. ft. calc? I guess I'm basically asking is there ever a time when you include more than the 2 required 1500VA small appliance branch circuits in a calc?

Also, if I have 2 circuits of kitchen (countertop) receptacles that I'm counting as my 2 1500VA small appliance circuits and I have a dedicated circuit with a single recepatcle for a refrigerator (in the kitchen) do I have to count that refrigerator receptacle as another 1500VA small appliance branch circuit?

Do you usually include a standard plug and cord connected refrigerator in your permanently connected appliance load calc? What about a standard cord and plug connected mircowave? I would assume these loads are covered under the small appliance branch circuits calcs or the 3VA/sq. ft. but I'm not positive.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As I see it, you count 1500 VA for each of two SA circuits, 1500 VA for the laundry circuit, and the rest of the receptacle outlets are part of the 3VA per square foot. I do not count the fridge or microwave separately. I do count the dishwasher and disposal separately, even if they are plug and cord connected, because both are "fixed in place."

jtester

quote by Charlie

As I see it, you count 1500 VA for each of two SA circuits, 1500 VA for the laundry circuit, and the rest of the receptacle outlets are part of the 3VA per square foot

I disagree. I often get more than 2 small appliance circuits in New Mexico. Here we are limited to a maximum of 4 receptacles to a small appliance circuit, and given that basically ALL kitchen and dining receptacles are required to be on small appliance circuits, 3 or 4 circuits are common.

Jim T

Mike03a3

I would say that:

1. The two small appliance circuits are counted at 1500VA each per 220.16 (A)

2. The refrigerator is included in the small appliance calculations per 210.52(b)(1) if it's on the SA circuit. If it's on its own circuit per exception (2), then it can be excluded from the load calculations per the exception to 220.16(A). Either way, you don't count it.

3. A standard cord and plug connected microwave would be plugged into one of the SA circuits in the kitchen or dining room, so it's already covered. I suppose a cord connected microwave, like the one in my kitchen, which is permanently (wall) mounted and connected to a relatively inaccessible receptacle would have to be separately counted just like a dishwasher or disposal.

That only leaves one question that I'd like to understand better myself. If you add a third SA circuit, does it get counted as another 1500VA load. Perhaps Charlie can help us both understand 220.16(A).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
jtester said:
I disagree.
No you don't (or at least, you didn't). 8)

You are discussing the number of circuits. I have no problem with the way you are doing it, and would probably have it done that way if I were to design my own house.

But the question had to do with how many VA you count, when you count the circuits. I submit that the first two SA circuits count as 1500 VA each, and that the third and fourth and beyond SA circuits are part of the 3VA/ft2.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Mike03a3 said:
If you add a third SA circuit, does it get counted as another 1500VA load. Perhaps Charlie can help us both understand 220.16(A).

Good point, Mike. Perhaps I can clarify the reason that it is not clear.
  • First, Mike is using the 2002 NEC. The same words appear in article 220.52(A) in 2005.
  • In both editions, we are told to count 1500 VA for each SA circuit required by 210.11(C)(1).
  • In turn, 210.11(C)(1) (both 2002 and 2005 versions) says we must provide two or more SA circuits, in order to serve the loads called out by 210.52(B)(1).
  • In turn, 210.52(B)(1) says that a specific set of receptacles (and nothing but this set) shall be powered by the "2 or more" SA circuits.
So here is the key question. If you add a third SA circuit, is that because the NEC required it? Please note that this is a different question than whether the Inspectors in New Mexico require it. If you construe that it is the NEC, and in particular 210.11(C)(1), that required the third (and fourth, etc.) SA circuit, then you would have to count it as 1500 VA.

My take is that the NEC never requires more than 2 SA circuits. You are required to put 2 SA circuits in the kitchen, and you are permitted to use them to supply the dining room (and other rooms on the list). You are also permitted (but not required) to ease the load on the circuits serving the countertop, by using a separate circuit for the fridge, or a separate circuit for the dining room.

That is the basis for my view that any receptacle powered by other than the required 2 SA circuits or the laundry circuit, and that does not supply a fixed in place appliance (e.g., disposal), counts as part of the 3VA/ft2. But I will quickly acknowledge that this is wide open to other interpretations.

jwelectric

1962 cycle
220-4(h) In single-family dwelling, in individual appartments of muli-family dwellings having provisions for cooling by tenants, and in each hotel suite having a serving pantry, a feeder load of not less than 1500 watts for each two-wire circuit install as required by section 220-39(b) shall be included for small appliances (portable appliance supplied from receptacles of 15 or 20 ampere rating) in pantry and breakfast-room, dinning room, kitchen and laundry. Where the load is sub-divided through two or more feeders, the computed load for each shall include not less than 1500 watts for each two-wire circuit for small appliances. These loads may be included with the general lighting load and subject to the demand factors in section 220-4(a).

I have been teaching Residential Wiring at the local community college for over five years. Every text book that I have used thus far as well as the NEC Handbook which makes this statement following 220.52(B);

In each dwelling unit, the feeder load is required to be calculated at 1500 volt-amperes for each of the two or more (2-wire) small-appliance branch circuits and at 1500 volt-amperes for each (2-wire) laundry branch circuit. Where additional small-appliance and laundry branch circuits are provided, they also are calculated at 1500 volt-amperes per circuit. These loads are permitted to be totaled and then added to the general lighting load. The demand factors in Table 220.42 can then be applied to the combined total load of the small-appliance branch circuits, the laundry branch circuit, and the general lighting from Table 220.12.

Both cycles imply that any 20 circuit installed in the kitchen, dinning room, pantry or breakfast room would be included in the load calculation.

As it is written now as well as 44 years ago the only way that you would be required to include all of them would be if these rooms were feed from more than one feeder.

My question now becomes, just what is a feeder? As defined in 100 a feeder is;

Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment, the source of a separately derived system, or other power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device.

Now the way is see this is; anything that will conduct current that is between the main disconnect either fuse or breaker and the 20 amp breaker supplying the circuit be it a wire or panel bus, bars of a bus duck or a human being are the feeders be it one or two.

pierre

220.14(A)Specific Loads.
An outlet for a specific appliance or other load not covered in 220.14(B) through (L) shall be calculated based on the ampere rating of the appliance or load served.

If the refrigerator is not on the small appliance branch circuit, I believe you would reference this section.

Mike03a3

pierre said:
220.14(A)Specific Loads.
An outlet for a specific appliance or other load not covered in 220.14(B) through (L) shall be calculated based on the ampere rating of the appliance or load served.

If the refrigerator is not on the small appliance branch circuit, I believe you would reference this section.

I think not, at least not for the 2002 NEC. I believe that applies to my example of a wall mounted microwave, but not to a refrigerator. The refrigerator must be on the small appliance circuit unless it is on the circuit allowed by exception (2) to 210.52 (B)(1). If it is on that permitted individual branch circuit, then the exception to 220.16 (A) (NEC2002) applies: Exception: The individual branch circuit permitted by 210.52(B)(1), Exception No. 2, shall be permitted to be excluded from the calculation required by 220.16.

pierre

Mike
There may be a conflict here (in the code).

I have read 220.52(A) ex.
It says it can be excluded from the calc of 220.52... but it is no longer on a small appliance branch circuit, it is on an INDIVIDUAL BRANCH CIRCUIT.
220.14 talks about Specific appliances. Is this now not a Specific appliance?

Mike03a3

pierre said:
Mike
There may be a conflict here (in the code).

I have read 220.52(A) ex.
It says it can be excluded from the calc of 220.52... but it is no longer on a small appliance branch circuit, it is on an INDIVIDUAL BRANCH CIRCUIT.
220.14 talks about Specific appliances. Is this now not a Specific appliance?

Pierre: I have been pondering that myself. I can't quote (or even read) the 2005 Code since I don't have a copy. We just switched to 2002 in the Fall, so I'm using it as a reference.

I actually don't think there is a conflict based on this reasoning:

1. 210.52(B)(1) says the two required small appliance circuits shall serve all receptacle outlets required by 210.52(A) and (C) and refrigeration equipment.

2. 220.3(B)(1) says the load for an outlet for a specific appliance not covered in (2) through (11) shall be computed based on the ampere rating of the appliance.

3. 220.3(B)(10)(1) says all general use receptacles of 20 amps or less in a dwelling are included in the general lighting load. In a kitchen, those are required to be served by the SA circuits. So, at this point the refrigerator is a specific appliance that is already covered.

4. 220.16(A) says we have to allow a load of 1500VA for each of the required SA circuits, which by definition includes the refrigeration equipment.

5. 210.2(B)(1) exception (2) says we can put the refrigerator on its own circuit.

6. Now, when we start doing the actual service load calculations, 220.16(A) exception says the circuit created by using 210.2(B)(1) exception (2) may be excluded from the SA load calculations. In my opinion, this confirms that the refrigerator is a specific appliance already covered. Putting it on its own circuit does not uncover it, nor does it create any additional load, since it was already included under the SA circuits by definition.

Other appliances that wind up on individual circuits (e.g. dishwashers, disposals and my built-in microwave) are not otherwise allowed for, so any circuits for them clearly fall under 220.3(B)(1)

pierre

220.14 talks about Specific appliances. Is this now not a Specific appliance?[/quote]

Pierre: I have been pondering that myself. I can't quote (or even read) the 2005 Code since I don't have a copy. We just switched to 2002 in the Fall, so I'm using it as a reference.

I actually don't think there is a conflict based on this reasoning:

1. 210.52(B)(1) says the two required small appliance circuits shall serve all receptacle outlets required by 210.52(A) and (C) and refrigeration equipment.

2. 220.3(B)(1) says the load for an outlet for a specific appliance not covered in (2) through (11) shall be computed based on the ampere rating of the appliance.

3. 220.3(B)(10)(1) says all general use receptacles of 20 amps or less in a dwelling are included in the general lighting load. In a kitchen, those are required to be served by the SA circuits. So, at this point the refrigerator is a specific appliance that is already covered.

4. 220.16(A) says we have to allow a load of 1500VA for each of the required SA circuits, which by definition includes the refrigeration equipment.

5. 210.2(B)(1) exception (2) says we can put the refrigerator on its own circuit.

6. Now, when we start doing the actual service load calculations, 220.16(A) exception says the circuit created by using 210.2(B)(1) exception (2) may be excluded from the SA load calculations. In my opinion, this confirms that the refrigerator is a specific appliance already covered. Putting it on its own circuit does not uncover it, nor does it create any additional load, since it was already included under the SA circuits by definition.

Other appliances that wind up on individual circuits (e.g. dishwashers, disposals and my built-in microwave) are not otherwise allowed for, so any circuits for them clearly fall under 220.3(B)(1)[/quote]

I almost agree with you :mrgreen:

Your #5 says "can". It is not that it can, it is required.

Because the fridge is now off of the small appliance branch circuit, it is not part of it, it is an INDIVIDUAL branch circuit. It is an appliance not listed in 220.14 (A)-(L). Therefore my reasoning says it is to be calculated.

I am not saying I am correct, this is my reasoning based on my reading of the applicable sections.
Prove me wrong and I will leave the "Dark Side". :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.