Small Brewery Grain Room Classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbendillo

I am doing electrical design for a small brew pub to be located in an existing restaurant. Their is a small grain storage room that is part of the brewery. It is 6'x4' closet that has a container for the grain used in the brewing process. The container is connected to the brewing process with a flexible screw conveyor that is basically a flexible pipe enclosing a screw type mechanism that transports the grain to the brewer. When I see this I am thinking grain dust and whether this space should be wired in accordance with NEC 502 as a Class II location. With my limited experience with electrical design in hazardous locations, I am having a hard time classifying the location according to the relevant articles in the NEC. The phrase "where combustible dust may be present in sufficient quantities..." requires some experience to make that judgment.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of installation?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I am doing electrical design for a small brew pub to be located in an existing restaurant. Their is a small grain storage room that is part of the brewery. It is 6'x4' closet that has a container for the grain used in the brewing process. The container is connected to the brewing process with a flexible screw conveyor that is basically a flexible pipe enclosing a screw type mechanism that transports the grain to the brewer. When I see this I am thinking grain dust and whether this space should be wired in accordance with NEC 502 as a Class II location. With my limited experience with electrical design in hazardous locations, I am having a hard time classifying the location according to the relevant articles in the NEC. The phrase "where combustible dust may be present in sufficient quantities..." requires some experience to make that judgment.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of installation?

There is no way that you could produce a "sufficient quantities" of dust in a 6'X4' closet to be a hazard worthy of going to section 502. Just proceed with the install as if it is any other restraunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.