Small Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I?m new here, and generally new to electronics. I like to build hobby robots at home, but I hit a snag during the development of the prototype. Well, my problem is with the brain of the robot, but don?t worry, this thing?s mind is probably simpler than your computer mouse. Anyway, the main purpose of the machine is to serve as an automatic shopping cart, and to accomplish that, it follows the user everywhere they go. The user carries a small infrared transmitter, and the robot has two IR receivers that pick up on the signal. No, they?re not simply infrared transistors, these are the kind of component you would find on the receiving end of a TV remote. Each of the receivers sends a signal to a LM339 quad comparator (only two of the comparators are used). The comparator compares the two signals and determines which one is strongest, and switches on the motor to drive the robot in the proper direction. The problem is that the receivers only sent out a pulse of electricity when they pick up a signal, and that?s it. For example, if I had them wired up to an LED, and pointed a TV remote at them, and pressed a button on it, the LED would only flash once, even if I held down the button and the signal was continuous. Now it?s your turn. If you know of a part that would fix my problem, or of a different kind of receiver that won?t do this, please let me know. Also, if I confused you with my explanation, feel free to ask me to clear things up. Thanks!:smile:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
Although harmless enough, your topic is not electrically related - it's an electronic-hobby one, which is beyond the intent and scope of this forum. Anyone who wishes to contact this member to discuss this, feel free to do so via the private messaging system.

Status
Not open for further replies.