smart switches for new house

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I was looking at an old thread about these and didn't quite get the answer I was looking for. If they want these in this new house should I be concerned with checking out all the different brands and wiring schemes at the last minute here or can I just wire the house normally and do a system later as an extra? I did one a few years ago and it was quite a bit of work, separate panel, some callbacks, etc. I am not sure this is from the homeowner, the alarm guy mentioned it to the builder. I plan to be diligent with neutrals at switchlegs if needed. Thanks

WIMaster

The only ones I have worked with were Lutrons and they required a neutral at each switch so I would be diligent about that as you said.
Hopefully some folks here have worked with other brands.

PetrosA

I've done Lutron and I'm getting some experience with a different system now. If you haven't wired yet, you have the option to plan your switch locations so they're more pleasing later on - single boxes instead of multigang etc. with your smart switches in "hidden" locations. When using Lutron, I prefer to make a single cabinet for smart switches and just have keypads where needed. You could also just do multigang 4" boxes surface mounted somewhere, or hide groups of smart switches in closets or other rooms where they won't be an eyesore.

Status
Not open for further replies.