Smoke and carbon/smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1564

Occupation
Electrician
I have a customer where they Have 6 alarms total. I replaced the four smoke alarms and one carbon. The ones that were replaced were still chirpping. I then alternated the one that i had replaced between the two carbons and the chirpping continued. has anybody had this problem with the BRK first alert detectors before?

kwired

Electron manager
I have a customer where they Have 6 alarms total. I replaced the four smoke alarms and one carbon. The ones that were replaced were still chirpping. I then alternated the one that i had replaced between the two carbons and the chirpping continued. has anybody had this problem with the BRK first alert detectors before?
Ones with battery backup sometimes either come with bad batteries or maybe you need to wiggle the batter cover a little to improve contact with the battery terminals. Of course make sure you did pull the battery tab to enable the battery or that a part of tab didn't break off and is still isolating battery.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's been a couple of weeks, hopefully you figured it out by now. But I had a similar problem a few days before yours, and it ended up being an old detector in a closet chirping "end of life" signal, and there were three other detectors near the closet that I thought the chirp was coming from.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Most smoke detectors have a feature where the detector that is causing the problem, or set off multiple detectors, the red light flashes every few seconds allowing you to indicate which detector initially went off. Hope this helps.

kwired

Electron manager
Most smoke detectors have a feature where the detector that is causing the problem, or set off multiple detectors, the red light flashes every few seconds allowing you to indicate which detector initially went off. Hope this helps.
For an alarm condition yes. For low battery indication no.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Most do that or some other long interval in "normal operation" and wouldn't be something I would be looking for as a sign something was wrong with it.
Normal operation is a green LED blinking every 60 seconds.

You're just determined not to give up, aren't you?

kwired

Electron manager
Normal operation is a green LED blinking every 60 seconds.

You're just determined not to give up, aren't you?
One in room I am in right now has a non blinking green light indicating line voltage present.

Red light briefly flashes every so often, didn't time it, probably at least 30 seconds maybe up to a minute between flashes.

Yours could be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.