Smoke/carbon code question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the rundown. An apartment complex has multiple units (150+) that need to add/swap the smokes for combo smoke/carbon per California. The question is, 45+ of these units have a bedroom (or smoke) that is less then 15' from the gas range to the existing smoke. I beleive the code is that you cannot have a carbon detector within 15' from any source of gas, right? If so, can they just install a stand alone carbon just inside the bedroom past the 15' and leave the smaok where it is? Or any other suggestion? I guess I can thumb through my 2011 code, but thought I would ask all of you instead :p Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just read that they need to be installed within 15' from any sleeping area and not closer then 5' to any appliance. Sound right?
You need to read the info on the detectors themselves. That will tell you most of what you need to know. Here is a link to NFPA72 read only file. Click "View the 2010 edition"

Here is a link to our FAQ on smoke detectors

T
he Problem is that California may have their own rules since most of us are required to have carbon detectors just in the hallway adjacent to bedrooms. We use standard smoke detectors in the bedrooms.http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=83435&p=649514#post649514

renosteinke

I agree that this is a basic question regarding the various detectors, and the differences between them.

One simple fact is that, despite the ready availability of combo detectors, there really is no reason the two should be located in the same places. Different risks, different placement. Neither the NFPA codes, the UL standards, nor the manufacturers' instructions are really much help in the placement of CO detectors. Conflicting suggestions and lots of 'ask the other guy.'

Some codes are mandating certain placement, and you're stuck if that's the case. Still, you are asking for false alarm issues when you place a CO detector where many smoke alarms are placed.

The two biggest causes for false alarms with CO detectors seem to be:
1) Placement where the detector catches that 'plume' when an appliance first ignites, before it disperses; and,
2) Leaking natural gas (like when a stove burner is slightly open)

I'm not sure, but it also appears that simple hot air - as from above a convection furnace - might trigger a false alarm.

All I can suggest, in your situation, is a simple swap-out with the combo units .... and pray. If there are false alarm problems, you'll have to relocate the CO units.

In an ideal world - now, this is my opinion, and it does conflict with some of the codes out there - you'd have the smoke detectors on the ceilings, away from the corners, both within bedrooms and guarding the approaches. You might also place them in areas prone to fires, like a basement workshop. The CO detectors - again, IMO - go on the wall, at the head of the bed, to protect you as you sleep. A CO detector in the hall won't do you any good if the CO is coming into the bedroom through the furnace ducting and the door is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.