SMOKE DETECTION - SHOP CLASS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PE (always learning)

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Does a shop class with welding equipment require smoke detection? I was looking through life safety and I did not see any reference to requiring smoke detectors in a shop class. I feel like this would probably be an area where you would want smoke detection. Please let me know your thoughts.

PE (always learning)

Occupation
Professional Engineer
One thing I wanted to mention is that this shop class is being fed by a Make up air unit with 100% outdoor air, so it would not be cross contaminating air with other rooms in the school.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
You may want to consider OSHA requirements before you rule out a smoke detector in that space. Even on a construction site we are required to have temp. ones even before building is finished and occupied.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You may want to consider OSHA requirements before you rule out a smoke detector in that space. Even on a construction site we are required to have temp. ones even before building is finished and occupied.
"E" occupancies don't normally require smoke detection, just heat detection. You don't want welding fumes causing false alarms, and the UV light rules out flame detectors, unless you have all IR FD's. However, if you have cutting operations, IR devices will see the flame so that's a no-go.

tonymc167

Occupation
electrican
At the minimum a Heat detector should be installed. And a co detector.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
At the minimum a Heat detector should be installed. And a co detector.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
Does the shop contain a fossil fuel burning appliance? If so, yes, but otherwise, I don't believe so. Unless your jurisdiction has a rule saying so.

Status
Not open for further replies.