Smoke detector electrical room

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Both
I must say trying to help someone do their homework when I failed to do my own is not a good look at all.

I noticed you do this to my threads only. Anyways trying to point which code or article or sharing knowledge is not called homework.

I already did my homework but was not able to find it.

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
I noticed you do this to my threads only. Anyways trying to point which code or article or sharing knowledge is not called homework.

I already did my homework but was not able to find it.
No worries as today is my last day on the forum

victor.cherkashi

In NYC:
In all occupancies where an automatic fire alarm system is required, selective coverage smoke detectors shall be located as follows, unless partial or total coverage automatic detection is specified.
1. In each mechanical equipment, electrical, transformer, telephone equipment or similar room, in elevator machine rooms, and in elevator lobbies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
In NYC:
In all occupancies where an automatic fire alarm system is required, selective coverage smoke detectors shall be located as follows, unless partial or total coverage automatic detection is specified.
1. In each mechanical equipment, electrical, transformer, telephone equipment or similar room, in elevator machine rooms, and in elevator lobbies.
As Victor points out, any requirements will be in the building code or local amendments thereto. Or the specs and drawings, which can go above and beyond code.

ron

As mentioned, you need to look in the adopted building code for the jurisdiction you are working and determine from the occupancy type if it is required.
For example, if it was the 2021 IBC and a Business "B" Occupancy (non-high rise), then no detectors are required per section 907.2.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.