smoke detector in a garage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
A customer wants me to install an electric car outlet. She says she heard of a fire in a garage with an elec. car and no smoke detector was present so the fire went unnoticed. She wants me to install a smoke detector in the garage. Is that advisable ? Thank you.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I've had AHJ insist on it for attached garage claiming code, cant be sure as smoke alarm requirement is not a NEC but could have been local code. Perhaps someone has an IBC reference.
AFA in general I don't see too much issue in having one other than what @Coppersmith indicated but also in general you are not running a gas or diesel ICE inside the closed garage.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If it’s in a garage you can install a heat alarm.
smoke detectors aren’t designed for garages

Look for more locations to adopt codes that require heat detectors in attached garages.
New York did last year.
Other have also

Last edited:

rainwater01

Occupation
Electrician
Generac training for lithium backup cabinets recommended a heat alarm. They said there’s only one residential grade heat alarm out there. Kidde hd135f.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sw_ross

Our state (North Dakota) requires heat alarms in attached garages, they have to be tied into the smoke alarms in the house.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it’s in a garage you can install a heat alarm.
smoke detectors aren’t designed for garages
I agree Kidde includes this in some of their instructions:
2. Locations To Avoid
In the garage. Products of combustion are present when you start
your automobile.
• Less than 4” (10cm) from the peak of an “A” frame type ceiling.
• In an area where the temperature may fall below 40ºF or rise above
100ºF, such as garages and unfinished attics; this should also include
electrical boxes exposed to these environments.

James L

Occupation
Electrician

sw_ross

What I hadn’t realized until recently with a conversation with my inspector is that the heat alarm (at least the Kidde) has to be compatible with the smoke alarms in the house. The installation instructions specifically say that it has to be used in conjunction with Kidde smoke alarms.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What I hadn’t realized until recently with a conversation with my inspector is that the heat alarm (at least the Kidde) has to be compatible with the smoke alarms in the house. The installation instructions specifically say that it has to be used in conjunction with Kidde smoke alarms.
That's correct it would probably work with other brands as well but it would not have been tested with those other brands. It would be nice if there was a standard that made all of these devices interchangeable. :mad:

James L

Occupation
Electrician
For sure. Kidde and BRK smoke and CO detectors sure aren't interchangeable between the two brands, and I would expect the heat detectors to use the same interconnect technology/components

ritelec

I can never understand the heat detector/alarm.

I've installed several smoke alarms in garages without being called back for nuisance tripping ( watch, I'll get some phone calls tomorrow)

With a heat detector and rate of rise and all that, it seems to me there would have to be a fully engulfed fire to trip it, and basically your calling the fire department as your running out the door...
where as with the smoke alarm, if a person is around, gives a person time to catch it and extinguish the fire way before any "heat" is detected.

But what do I know.

Nice to know BRK is making one too, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.