Smoke Detector in a Hollow Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

I have a project with a hollow space between a new building and an existing building that is enclosed and not accessible. Is there a code requirement that requires there to be a smoke detector or heat detector in this type of hollow space? A contractor is saying there is a code requirement for this but I can't find it. If we do provide a detector we would need to make the hollow space accessible to access the smoke detector for periodic maintenance. Which code states this requirement, if any?

ron

If it is not accessible, then the detector cannot be installed, nor can be maintained.

Typically detectors get installed when required by the adopted building code in Section 907 based on the occupancy group and area being discussed, or the application such as supporting pre-action sprinklers or above a FACP or used for elevator recall, etc.

You will not find the need to install one in a non-accessible hollow space between a new building and an existing building unless there is some type of combustible in there that is a special request by the AHJ.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
^^^What Ron said. In addition, the walls of each building that are adjacent to the other should be 1-hour fire-rated per the IBC. Two hours if they are different occupancies, IIRC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a project with a hollow space between a new building and an existing building that is enclosed and not accessible. Is there a code requirement that requires there to be a smoke detector or heat detector in this type of hollow space? A contractor is saying there is a code requirement for this but I can't find it. If we do provide a detector we would need to make the hollow space accessible to access the smoke detector for periodic maintenance. Which code states this requirement, if any?

Since when are you allowed to have an enclosed unaccessible space between two buildings?

Shujinko

Since when are you allowed to have an enclosed unaccessible space between two buildings?

It is an addition to an existing building. So there is a small void space between the existing portion and the new portion, it's about 3 feet wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.