Smoke Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denny O

I want to put a smoke detector above a stairway from the basement, its about 6' square ceiling, then to the left is a barrel ceiling in the foyer, it goes higher than the stair ceiling. Any suggestions on placement?

hbendillo

It is kind of tricky to determine how smoke is going to travel. It depends on conditions including temperature, humidity, air flow and the space configuration. You should consider consulting someone with some expertise to look at it for you. They might recommend putting detectors at the top of the barrel and on the ceiling above the stairs.

Can we assume this is a residential application?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just so we're all on the same page here in the Forum smoke detectors are part of a low voltage system whereas smoke alarms are the 120V interconnected type. So, I'm guessing you're talking about 120V smoke alarms. Irrespective of what type it is the most likely place to locate one of these devices is at an "updraft" location like the top of a stair case where smoke is "most likely" to travel. In your case I would locate it at a spot where it will be both effective and readily serviceable. If you have to stand on a 6' ladder to install or service the unit that is acceptable. If you have to bring in an extension ladder or a lift to service the unit that is not readily serviceable. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.