smoke detectors hardwired/ inspector inquiry

croyfish

New User
Occupation
electrician apprentice
hey Mike! hope you're doing well.

question about smoke detectors requirements and inspectors.

I live in Indiana. Indiana has their own amendment's to the code and operate off the 2008 NEC with said amendment's.

the inspector wants to fail a remodel single family dwelling for not having hardwired interconnected smoke detectors. we installed 10year battery interconnected smoke detectors that all sync together via wireless signal. this inspector won't give a code reference and says we're required to have hardwired smokes. is this true? can you help me with a reference and some advice please?

side question about inspectors.

are they required to provide a code reference if they wish to fail our inspection? if so is that in writing somewhere? what am I supposed to do when code proves an inspector wrong and you request written interpretation from the inspector or building commissioner and both refuse?

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Smoke alarm requirements are not in the NEC. They are in the building code.
If I remember correctly, they are required to be hard wired with battery backup. There are exceptions.
If you can't get a wire from an existing alarm to the new location without tearing up building finishes, you can use a battery alarm.
It's possible the building code does allow a wireless system now.
Depends on your jurisdiction.

There's no code stating the inspector shall provide code sections when failing an inspection.
That may also be a jurisdiction rule.
Good luck!

Ron

david

hey Mike! hope you're doing well.

question about smoke detectors requirements and inspectors.

I live in Indiana. Indiana has their own amendment's to the code and operate off the 2008 NEC with said amendments
You know your own state, an internet search indicates your state adopted the 2018 international residential code.

So search the internet 2018

R315. Your state adopts the code with state amendments.

Your state most likely has adopted the international existing building code as well,

The existing building code will adress levels of repairs and define them.

As far as I know smoke detectors , hardwired, interconnected, and battery back up.

But there are exceptions

david

The 2018 IRC also requires smoke alarms in the following locations:
  • Sleeping rooms
  • Immediately outside sleeping rooms
  • On each story of a dwelling, including basements and habitable attics
Other requirements include:
  • Hardwired detectors are required for new construction.
  • Detectors must be interconnected, either wired or wirelessly.
  • Battery-powered interconnected devices are allowed for additions and alterations.

The above a quick internet search

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Not in NEC but building code, in NY it requires a hardwired interconnected Smoke or CO when a space is renovated or or electrically updated and rewired. Your area may have a similar requirement. While the interconnect via wifi is best practice if the space is not renovated and has only battery operated detectors, a wired interconnect is better when available.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Usually, the deal is that if the renovations/additions create spaces that require a smoke and/or CO alarm, those additions must be hardwired, but they do not have to be wired to any existing smoke/CO alarms. If the work takes place in existing space that had, or would have to have, smoke/CO alarms, then you'll need to restore/add those alarms, and they will need to be hardwired.