smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty

Is a single family residence required by NEC to have smoke detectors wired in series and have live voltage?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: smoke detectors

Look to local ordinance, fire regulations and building codes. Smoke detectors aren't part of the NEC, only the wiring method.

redfish

My local AHJ requires smoke detectors in each bedroom, in hallways, in the kitchen/nook area and in the garage. All linked together but they do not have to be a dedicated circuit. Have any of you guys had any problems with S/Ds chirping even with good power and new batteries? :) :confused:

physis

Have any of you guys had any problems with S/Ds chirping even with good power and new batteries? :) :D :cool:

You might give the forum seach function a spin and see what you can find.

allenwayne

Our problems with smokes chipring or goimg off has been a problem ever since they were required to be part of the afci circuit.go though them checked all connections replaced all s/d`s and still off they went usually in the middle of the night ;)

jimwalker

No it's not NEC but still required under building codes.You will not get a rough inspection without them so nec might just as well add it to there pages.The best one i had was a few months ago.A large 3,000 sq ft home that only had 1 bedroom so only 2 smokes.Inspecters first words were where are the smokes.Several rooms that could be easily confused as a bedroom but had no closet so no smokes.Might be wise to check with local ahj.Why anyone would not want more than min required on this item is beyond me.They do save lives and are cheap.

ryan_618

Originally posted by dirty:
Is a single family residence required by NEC to have smoke detectors wired in series and have live voltage?
No, but both of these requirements are found in the International Residential Code.

mc5w

I had an instance of a commercial occupancy that had the smokes that were chirping for 4 years because the 9 volt batteries had run down. Since the area had very few power failures they did not care. This was even though I had bugged them as well for 4 years. They eventually got around to it when I showed up with 3 batteries and we had to get out the 12 foot wooden stepladder anyways to fix something else.

One maintenance headache was that the only ladder for the job required 2 people to handle it. A 10 foot or 12 foot wooded stepladder is just that way.

redfish

I know what you mean,I've got a monster 16' wooden step ladder that takes two or three guys with two bowls of Wheaties each to handle. :)

physis

This is off topic but I get the occasional thirty foot recessed can at the landing of one of the stair cases in a stair well. And I'm supposed to be interested in changing the burnt out bulb. :D :D :D

You know, the ones that work for a week from Home Depot.

I say call the architect, he should know what to do. :D

jimwalker

We had a crazy situation a few months ago_Office building in a small plaza of seperate buildings.Unit involved was about 4,000 sq ft.It was no secret that the owner will be illegally living there as well as using it for buisness.Lets get serious ,a full kitchen that most of us would love to own 12 x 16 and then top it off with a dining room (yes said dining room on print ).I voiced a few concerns to the owner being i knew intended real use.Smokes and arci were ignored.Nothing i could do about it.And this was far from a cheap building. :mad: :mad: :mad:

redfish

I did a sushi restaurant a while back and the owner had his own sheet rock/paint/almost everything crew. These poor guys worked, ate, and slept in the building while we remodeled around them. Four of the nicest Korean guys you would ever meet (they actually spoke better Spanish than English believe it or not). Anyhow when the place opened, I took my wife out for some sushi and wouldn't you know the same four guys were sushi chiefs and waiters. Now that's talent. :)

[ July 19, 2005, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: redfish ]

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by redfish:
Anyhow when the place opened, I took my wife out for some sushi and wouldn't you know the same four guys were sushi chiefs and waiters. Now that's talent. :)
I hope they washed their hands! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.