Smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricrob

New User
Occupation
Electrical contractor
I was wondering about a code requirement from either the NEC or NFPA that required residential smoke detectors be attached to kitchen or bath lighting circuit. Is that an old code, or was that something that was only required in Dade county?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That has never been an NFPA requirement, but some local codes had such a rule so you would know if the power circuit to the smoke alarm has tripped.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never heard of smoke alarms being connected to bathroom circuits. However, there was a suggestion that they be connected to a lighting circuit so that if a HO shut the breaker associated with the smoke alarms they would inadvertently shut the lights off. I suppose you could connect it to the bathroom lighting circuit but I believe it would be a Code violation to connect it to a bathroom receptacle circuit. If a 20 amp circuit is run to the bathroom and everything in that bathroom was on that one circuit then that circuit cannot serve anything else outside that bathroom.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I suppose you could connect it to the bathroom lighting circuit but I believe it would be a Code violation to connect it to a bathroom receptacle circuit. If a 20 amp circuit is run to the bathroom and everything in that bathroom was on that one circuit then that circuit cannot serve anything else outside that bathroom.
The OP mentioned the lighting circuit but there is no requirement for a dedicated lighting circuit for either the kitchen or the bathroom. You are correct it would actually be a violation to connect it the required 20 amp circuit for the bathroom.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I've never heard of smoke alarms being connected to bathroom circuits. However, there was a suggestion that they be connected to a lighting circuit so that if a HO shut the breaker associated with the smoke alarms they would inadvertently shut the lights off. I suppose you could connect it to the bathroom lighting circuit but I believe it would be a Code violation to connect it to a bathroom receptacle circuit. If a 20 amp circuit is run to the bathroom and everything in that bathroom was on that one circuit then that circuit cannot serve anything else outside that bathroom.
I have heard it suggested as good practice to put residential smoke alarms on some circuit whose drop out would be immediately apparent to a homeowner. Of course, the beeping while on battery power should also be a clue, but following that prescription would help the homeowner identify the circuit more easily.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Don. I believe years ago in NC we had such a rule but not anymore. Reality is we usually connect the smokes to a bedroom circuit.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Of course, the beeping while on battery power should also be a clue, but following that prescription would help the homeowner identify the circuit more easily.
Loosing primary power does not trigger the alarms to beep. Any smoke alarm having such a feature would never get listed. Homeowners would just pull the batteries out ever time they lost power leaving them with no protection at all.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I think I remember being in houses where smoke alarms periodically chirped because AC power was off

And continued for short while after batteries were removed

?

Status
Not open for further replies.