smoke detectors

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
I am fixing a home inspection punch list... If a home that is 50-60 years + has a smoke detector that only has power / not a 3 wire. Is it legit to just install batterie powered detectors in the bedrooms that don't have a detector? Seems pretty lame, but i am trying to save them money. Is there anything in the rule book that prohibits this?

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
This is a building code issue, not the NEC. Check with th building department for the jurisdiction you're working in.
That said, it's possible they will allow battery only smoke alarms. There are wireless smoke alarms available as well.
Good luck.

Ron

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Our State is under the State Fire Marshall's office for smoke detectors. They allow battery operated ones in existing houses for things like panel changes, service upgrades, repairs, etc. We have to have one in each bedroom, one in a common area to bedrooms, and one on each level of a home. It's kind of funny when an inspector comes to check electrical work and the first question they ask is "Do you have smokes installed, and how many?"

Crash117

Occupation
C-2 electrical contractor/owner operator
Our State is under the State Fire Marshall's office for smoke detectors. They allow battery operated ones in existing houses for things like panel changes, service upgrades, repairs, etc. We have to have one in each bedroom, one in a common area to bedrooms, and one on each level of a home. It's kind of funny when an inspector comes to check electrical work and the first question they ask is "Do you have smokes installed, and how many?"
In multiple instances like this I’ve used the battery powered units that use a RF signal to communicate with all the others. One unit will make all the other battery powered units activate the alarm. Never had an inspector say no to this type of install. These are just cases where at either a home sale or other reason for home inspection that smokes were required or requested to be installed. Any type of home remodeling and you must do the full rewire of all units.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Getting a CCO in NJ requires that smoke alarms (which is what you're really talk about) be installed in the usual locations. If the residence was constructed before smoke/CO alarms were required, and thus hard wired, single station alarms are allowed. They don't even have to be wirelessly connected, but that feature is cheap enough I wouldn't skip it.