Smoke Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kda3310

I know this is not in the NEC but, where do I find out smoke detector requirements. The fire inspector is requiring me to place smoke alarms in all buildings, commercial and residential. In the state I have never installed a smoke detector in a commercial building. But, I do not have any info to tell them other wise. In Iraq the fire inspectors are like gods. What ever they say goes unless you prove to them other wise. They speak and you shall do. This project is going to require installing thousands of smoke detectors for something that I do not know if it is required under American laws.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The general requirements come from NFPA 72. There may be local requirements also.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i believe you can find them in nfpa 101 life safety code. that is what our jurisdiction enforces for commercial.

brantmacga said:
i believe you can find them in nfpa 101 life safety code. that is what our jurisdiction enforces for commercial.
NFPA 101 speak more about performance. NFPA 72 is where it's at. All the requriements are there. Follow it, and you're good.

Dave_PE

831 said:
NFPA 101 speak more about performance. NFPA 72 is where it's at. All the requriements are there. Follow it, and you're good.

Actually...NFPA 101 is more about "where and when" they are required....and NFPA 72 is more about how many, what type, ratings, installation criteria, testing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.