Smoke EVAC system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri_WW

Can you explain what added components (to a fire alarm system) are typically needed for a smoke EVAC system and the typical type of application that would require the use of a smoke EVAC system.

Thanks!!
Keri :grin: :grin:

boater bill

Typically I've seen smoke evac for atrium's in hotels.

It requires a central DDC system to open dampers, operate specific AHU fans, and specific exhaust fans.

It is fairly involved and site specific. i would get in touch with my local NICET level II or III fire alarm contractor for help.

john_axelson

Evac

Evac

Be careful when bidding and check with the Local Fire Marshall.

Most EVAC systems require that the Fire Alarm cabling be installed in conduit. Depending on the Buildign and the reason for the smoke EVAC, you may need to pressurize the stairwells and the floor above and floor below the floor of fire.

If it is for Warehouse smoke evac then the wiring may be required to be MI or installed "outside" of the structure.

Just two cents from the Fire Marshalls I have run across.

Mr. Bill

Where I have seen it required was any atrium which is 3 or more floors in height. (I think it might be an IBC requirement) I've seen exceptions when the floors above the second floor were enclosed in a fire rated glass assembly. Smoke evacuation systems are complicated and from what I read on it they need to be modeled in some 3d software for proper sizing and design. There was also a requirement for a dedicated fire figher command room with direct access to the outside.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
There are two types of systems the IBC may require. One is a "smoke and heat" vent, and the other is basically a smoke evac (i can't remember exactly what the IBC calls this one.) The smoke evac is easier to comply with. Its basically some big fans with a switch for the fire dept. to use. Atriums that connect 3 floors is one example where these are required.

The "smoke and heat vents" are more stringent. They may need emergency back up power, fire resistant wiring methods and even a fire command center. I think these are more typical in high rise applications.

Steve

iwire

Staff member
I think there are as many answers as there are buildings and designers. :smile:

I have hooked up some very simple ones and some very complicated ones. Some that the FACP controlled entirely others that the FACP signaled a building management system. One I did in a large dept store could pressurize or evac depending on the fires location using 4 large dedicated smoke evac fans and 15 HVAC roof top units.

Most have some sort of override / manual controls available for the fire dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.