Snap Switch

steve66

Are you are looking at motor disconnects in article 430? If so, I think a snap switch basically refers to a standard 15A or 20A light switch.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I believe it's any switch that operates by the movement of a handle that operates a spring and rocker mechanism to change the position of the contacts.

Examples of switches that are not snap switches are knife switches, rotary switches and many push button switches.

-Hal

PaulMmn

Snap switch vs knife switch, ?
A knife switch is like the ones Dr. Fronkonsteen has on his control panel-- a large handle, and 2 (or more) metal bars that the handle moves to complete or break a circuit. You can also 'tease' the contact-- not quite breaking the connection, or not quite making the connection. Makes for lots of sparks and arcs!

sameguy

A knife switch is like the ones Dr. Fronkonsteen has on his control panel-- a large handle, and 2 (or more) metal bars that the handle moves to complete or break a circuit. You can also 'tease' the contact-- not quite breaking the connection, or not quite making the connection. Makes for lots of sparks and arcs!
That's why I said it.
knife switch was "the" switch until snap switch was invented.