So are residential neutrals considered current carrying or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbartek

I'm new to the forum so I'm sure this has been covered before. But, searching through the posts there seems to be conflicting opinions. I know that according to 310.15(B)(5)(b&c) that these neutrals are current carrying. But once and for all, are the neutrals in a residential service considered current carrying or not, for purposes of derating when bundling conductors? Have I been teaching this properly to say they are not, or do I owe twenty years worth of "never mind" to my students?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

For a typical single phase 3 wire service to a home, the Neutral in the service would not be counted as a CCC for ampacity adjustments in accordance with 310.15(B)(5)(a) as the neutral only carries the unbalanced current from ungrounded conductors.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A neutral conductor that carries only the unbalanced current on a 240/120 system such as probably 95+% of your residential services is not considered a current carrying conductor for the purpose of 310.15(B)(4).
When you mention "bundling" in residential wiring, I think more of branch circuits where a number of 2 conductor cables might be bundled. In those situations, since the neutral of a two wire circuit carries 100% of the load, derating would br required.
Does that answer your question ?

(Sorry Chris, I was slow thinking/typing/posting)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
For the service mentioned they are not considered to be current carrying.
The reason being that for a three wire 240/120 service or for a four wire 120/208 service any current flowing in the neutral will be matched by a corresponding reduction below maximum value in the current carried by one or more of the phase wires.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The reason being that for a three wire 240/120 service or for a four wire 120/208 service any current flowing in the neutral will be matched by a corresponding reduction below maximum value in the current carried by one or more of the phase wires.

If you had a shared neutral and two phase conductors from a 208Y/120 system the neutral would be considered current carrying since it would carry about the same current as the phase conductors.

tbartek

A neutral conductor that carries only the unbalanced current on a 240/120 system such as probably 95+% of your residential services is not considered a current carrying conductor for the purpose of 310.15(B)(4).
When you mention "bundling" in residential wiring, I think more of branch circuits where a number of 2 conductor cables might be bundled. In those situations, since the neutral of a two wire circuit carries 100% of the load, derating would br required.
Does that answer your question ?

(Sorry Chris, I was slow thinking/typing/posting)

I guess the way I worded it, it was confusing. I was referring to the branch circuit conductors. So 120V 2/wire circuits neutrals count. Multiwire circuits neutrals wouldn't and 240V 3/wire circuits neutrals wouldn't.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I guess the way I worded it, it was confusing. I was referring to the branch circuit conductors. So 120V 2/wire circuits neutrals count. Multiwire circuits neutrals wouldn't and 240V 3/wire circuits neutrals wouldn't.

Here are a couple simple illustrations that apply to your scenarios

In a two wire circuit the grounded conductor carries the same current as the ungrounded conductor

not_a_neutral.JPG

In an unbalanced MWBC the neutral carries the unbalanced current.

unbalanced__neutral.JPG

Roger

jumper

You might find this helpful. Rob/Infinity wrote it in another thread.

Here's some examples of when to count the neutral as a CCC:

208Y/120 volt system-different circuit types:

A)- 2 wire circuit w/ 1 ungrounded, 1 neutral = 2 CCC's
B)- 3 wire circuit w/ 2 ungrounded, 1 neutral = 3 CCC's
C)- 4 wire circuit w/ 3 ungrounded, 1 neutral = 3 CCC's*

Notes:
A)- A normal 2 wire circuit has equal current flowing in each of the circuit conductors so they both count as CCC's.
B)- In this circuit the neutral current will be nearly equal to the current in the ungrounded conductors so the neutral counts as a CCC
C)- In this circuit the neutral will only carry the imbalance of the current between the three ungrounded conductors so it is not counted as a CCC, with one exception, *if the current is more than 50% nonlinear then the neutral would count as a CCC.

120/240 volt system-different circuit types:

D)- 2 wire circuit w/ 1 ungrounded, 1 neutral = 2 CCC's
E)- 3 wire circuit w/ 2 ungrounded, 1 neutral = 2 CCC's

Notes:
D)- A normal 2 wire circuit has equal current flowing in each of the circuit conductors so they both count as CCC's.
E)- In this circuit the neutral will only carry the imbalance between the two ungrounded conductors so the neutral is not counted as a CCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.